Registering An Epa


Registered User
Jul 9, 2008
Southern England

My husband has suffered with Alzheimer's for some 4 years now :(
and I took out an EPA to take care of his affairs, with his consent. Now the time has come to register the EPA. I have been in touch with the solicitor who advises that in addition to a £125 payment to the courts, she antipates that my bill for her will be between £750 and £900. I am shocked by this, and cannot afford it.

Can I register an EPA myself? I know it is not as complicated as the newer LPA.

If I don't bother with it, what might be the consequences?

I really don't know what to do.



Registered User
Jun 27, 2006
Hi susieq and welcome to Talking Point.

There are several threads on this subject and I'll see if I can find them for you. However, absolutely you can register it yourself. The process, although a bit heavy on paper, is very straightforward, and more importantly, well documented. The only thing you have to pay is the registration fees and even those you may apply to have reduced should they be a real hardship to pay.

The guardianship website has all the info you need

(make sure you choose the registering the EPA option)


Registered User
Jun 27, 2006
With regard to fees I copied this from

Part D: Exemptions and remissions
questions and answers
This section applies to the person who is responsible for paying
the fee (see Part C).
Am I eligible for a fee exemption?
You are eligible for a fee exemption if you receive any of the
following means-tested benefits and you have not been awarded
damages of more than £16,000, which were disregarded when
determining your eligibility for the benefit:
• Income Support;
• Income-based Job-Seeker’s Allowance;
• State Pension Guarantee Credit;
• A combination of Working Tax Credit and either Child Tax
Credit, Disability Element or Severe Disability Element;
• Housing Benefit; or
• Council Tax Benefit.

Am I eligible for a fee remission?
If you do not qualify for a fee exemption, you may be eligible for
a fee remission if your gross annual income* is within the bands
shown in Table 1.
Income Remission
Up to £11,500 no fee to pay
£11,501 to £13,000 75% remission -you need to enclose 25% of fee
£13,001 to £14,500 50% remission -you need to enclose 50% of fee
£14,501 to £16,000 25% remission -you need to enclose 75% of fee
Over £16,000 You are not entitled to a fee remission.
Table 1
*Gross annual income is the amount received before you pay tax
and national insurance. It may come from:
• employment;
• non-means-tested benefits;
• pensions; and/or
• Interest from capital investments.

What if I am not eligible for an exemption or remission but
still cannot afford the fee?
It is possible that you may not be eligible for an exemption or
remission under the criteria set out in Part D, however payment
of the fee would nevertheless cause you or your dependents
undue hardship.
For example, it may be that payment of a fee would make it
difficult to meet your normal living expenses such as food
costs and bills. Or you may need to make a number of repeat
applications relating to a single matter and feel that paying a fee
on each occasion would cause hardship.
In such circumstances you may apply for the fee to be waived by
writing a letter explaining your situation and including it with your
application to the Court or the OPG. At this stage you do not
need to send payment.

Incidentally it would appear that the current registration fee is £120


Registered User
Jul 9, 2008
Southern England
Dear Jennifer

Thanks so much for both your emails and the information you have forwarded. I feel much better now and will be following it up myself. Thanks again for your time.:eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
I have just registered our EPA.
The total cost was quoted at £472.50p which I paid in advance as I wanted to get it sorted.
I received all the documents this week, with certified copies and a cheque refund for £17. 63p overpayment.
I could have claimed some exemption on Dhiren`s income, but it would have meant a lot of paper work which I just don`t have the head for at the moment. So I didn`t claim it.
I went to register it mid June, just after Dhiren was discharged from hospital. So it took two months.


Registered User
Jun 27, 2006
I assume that was through a solicitor Sylvia? Because that seems a reasonable fee to pay to do it that way. The price Susieq was quoted seems, frankly, out of line.

Glad we could help Susie. Any other questions (about this or any other AD issue) just post.

Best wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Yes it was through a solicitor. All efficient, cut and dried, with nothing for me to do. :)

The solicitor is a local one whose name I got from MIND. MIND has lists of solicitors who put their names forwards as sympathetic to the needs of older or more confused paeople.
Last edited:

Dave W

Registered User
Jul 3, 2005
I registered the EPA for my Mum myself - not remotely difficult in retrospect: I think you just worry that you're doing everything right :) If paperwork isn't your forte, paying a solicitor may be valuable peace of mind - think that decision has to be a personal one. But if reassurance is helpful right now, the process is very straightforward.


Registered User
May 24, 2006
I registered an EPA to deal with my Mothers affairs it was incredibly easy and straightforward and all i paid was the £100 fee direct to Guardianship office

I am stunned now to realise that i could actually have gained an exemption for the fees given my own income etc but its water under the bridge now

I certainly would not be paying a solicitor to do it for me


Registered User
Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Susieq,

Do your own thing with the EPA as others have advised you.

My only comment is: read the accompanying help pages carefully as I am sure you will.

Best wishes,