1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Registering an EPA -notifying relatives

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Avening Star, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Avening Star

Avening Star Registered User

Jan 31, 2015
    I'm new on this forum and would welcome some advice. Today we've been advised by the local Memory Clinic to register Mum's EPA. I understand that we have to notify relatives in a particular order. My brother and I will be her Attorneys and my father is dead. Her only remaining blood relative is a sister who she has been estranged from for 30 years. I don't even know where my aunt lives now. Mum has 4 grandchildren all over the age of 18.

Do we have to try to find my mother's sister or could an exception be made in these circumstances?

Thank you very much

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Have a read of

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...287864/EPA101_Guidance_apply_register_EPA.pdf
    P11 onwards and note

What if a relative cannot be located?
    All reasonable attempts must be made to locate the relatives
    who should be notified, in priority order. If this is not possible
    then the next most appropriate relative should be notified, to
    make up the requirement to notify at least three relatives.
    What if fewer than three relatives are alive?
    If this is the case then this should be explained on the
    application form.

on P13

3. Avening Star

Avening Star Registered User

Jan 31, 2015
    Thank you very much this is really helpful.