Registered Nursing Care Contribution in England

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I know that this was changed in October, so that where three bands existed there is now only one payment level. What I don't understand is how this would affect those who were at the highest level. Does this mean that they are now paying more for their nursing home place?

My mum was on the middle band (£87) so I would have thought her contribution to her nursing home fees should have decreased by £14 (£101 minus £87). This doesn't seem to have happened. Does this mean that the nursing home is just taking the extra £14 and therefore there has been an unofficial rise in the level of fees?

I know that there has been another thread about this but I didn't quite follow it, so would be grateful if anyone who has been affected could let me know. There is a relatives' meeting at mum's nursing home tomorrow so may raise it then also.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I do know that some people have taken the statement that "fees should not change" to mean that the home should take the extra money and not reduce the patients contribution. It makes sense in a way - this increase was supposed to cover the contracted increase in salaries for nurses. Not much sense though - I'm willing to bet the the majority of homes are still paying their nurses exactly the same.

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Hello Brenda,

My Dad was on the middle band and is now on £101 per week, his nursing home just deduct that from their weekly fee so in fact he is better off now, that is until the nursing home put up their fees which they do in April every year! Hope this helps.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Hello Brenda,

My Dad was on the middle band and is now on £101 per week, his nursing home just deduct that from their weekly fee so in fact he is better off now, that is until the nursing home put up their fees which they do in April every year! Hope this helps.

That sounds fair to me, but I don't think it it what my mum's nursing home are doing. Will have to ask tomorrow. However, things are made more complicated by the fact that the local authority are paying the nursing home for her fees and mum is accruing a debt to the local authority which will be payable when her house is sold.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I do know that some people have taken the statement that "fees should not change" to mean that the home should take the extra money and not reduce the patients contribution. It makes sense in a way - this increase was supposed to cover the contracted increase in salaries for nurses. Not much sense though - I'm willing to bet the the majority of homes are still paying their nurses exactly the same.

My impression was that the system was being simplified. However, some people are presumably getting a lower contribution than they were under the old system. I hadn't heard that this was anything to do with an increase in nurse's salaries - surely this should be covered in an annual increase in the RNCC payments and/or the annual increase in the nursing home fees?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Something that occurs to me - I would be asking what the home intends to do when they have a resident who is newly eligible for nursing care. How much are they planning to take off their bill? Because if its £101 (and I can't see how it could be anything else) how come they're not doing that for existing residents?

I think the care homes are going to try this on for as long as possible - this has been very poorly put together and they really should have got this whole thing clarified before now.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I'm going to try to raise the matter at the relatives' meeting tonight. However, I have a feeling that I will be referred on to Head Office, as I think they deal with the finances.

I think it's worth raising though, if only to make other relatives aware of the situation.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Something that occurs to me - I would be asking what the home intends to do when they have a resident who is newly eligible for nursing care. How much are they planning to take off their bill? Because if its £101 (and I can't see how it could be anything else) how come they're not doing that for existing residents?

That's a really good point Jennifer and one I will bear in mind.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
My mother funds her care herself, and was on the £87 band. The bill is still only reduced by £87 although Ive queried this numerous times.
There has also been a recent general fee increase and the main reason for that was given as increase in staff salaries. however I suppose its quite possible if the home wasnt keeping the extra £14 they would have hiked the fees even higher than they actually did!!