Registered EPA Difficulties

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi All,

I'm having a few issues with many companies regarding dad's registered EPA.

All companies that I have contacted including banks, building societies and people that dad has any holdings with want to see the original EPA only. The ALL keep saying that certified copies are just not acceptable.

I've already had the original EPA go missing once (now retrieved thankfully) so am just not keen for it to go out of my sight again. It could easily get lost in the post or among the stacks of paper on someone's desk.

Some banks are asking me to visit the branch in person (which is 100 miles away), that I can deal with. However many say that it must be sent to their head office and will not accept a visit. We have a few nominal shares to sell off and it is the exactly the same - the EPA original must be sent.

Is this other peoples experience or are these people just being difficult? It seems that they make up their own rules.

thanks
Craig

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Did not need to use Lionel's EPA many times, but like yourself did lose it once (Tax office in Scotland), when they would not accept certified copy.

After that I always tried to present in person. Not always easy, but in my opinion, the only safe way.

In one case took to a local branch of bank, and just insisted that they certified that they had seen the original (with the COP seal) and they informed HO for me.
Only worked because I dragged Lionel along with me.....they then saw the difficulities.

Hope you get things sorted out successfully.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I've used certified copies with several banks and financial institutions, but through an IFA. Two years ago I decided to use one to rationalise investments for maximum income should I need it for care, and I'm so glad I did, it's one less thing to worry about.

Certified copies have been sent to all organisations, the only one we've had problems with is a huge insurance company, widely advertised, who have been very awkward about the fact that John's son is also named on the EPA. It's either or, but they refuse to accept that, and demand both signatures on everything. Everyone else has acted just on my signature.

PS Using an IFA also means that there can be no arguments in the future about misappropriation of John's funds. Peace of mind all round!

Last edited:

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
EPA Difficulties

Hello Craig
Like Skye I did ours through an IFA, and he did an excellent job but it took him quite a long time probably approaching 12 months before he got everything sorted.( Using only certified copies) He is a very tenacious sort of chap and stuck to his guns keeping us informed during the proccess. Best of luck with your problems.
Cheers Frank

Last edited:

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hmmmm, never had much luck with IFAs to be honest, but perhaps this is a good time in my life to try again. This is taking up a lot more time than I expected.

Cheers
Craig

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
If you do decide to try, the first question is, are you totally independent, or are you tied?

Next question -- do you act on commission? I know the commission they get is substantial, but I dread to think how much it would have cost me if I'd been paying by the hour. Like Frank's, mine has spent hours and hours sorting it all out.

Good luck,

Helena

May 24, 2006
I am amazed .......I have only just finished dealing with my Mothers probate but i had no trouble with certified copies of the registered EPA at any Bank or B Soc or Share registrars

Just what the hell do they think they are playing at

A correctly certified copy from a Solicitor is legally acceptable anywhere

Write a stinking complaint letter

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Craig,

I'm afraid it comes down to a lack of training by the Banks and other financial institutions.

Are the copies certified by the Court or by a Solicitor?

If they refuse to accept office copies sealed by the Court I would ask them whether they are disputing the Authority of the Court and if so on what grounds? This should lead to a pause whilst they try and find the answer in their notes. Then ask to speak to the legal department and/or complaints department.

If they are refusing to accept copies certified by a Solicitor ask them if they are disputing the application of Section 3 of the Power of Attorney Act 1971 and if so on what grounds? Again take advantage of the pause to ask for the legal/complaints department.

[S.3 of the Powers of Attorney Act 1971 prescribes a strict method of proving the contents of a power of attorney. To follow this procedure a solicitor, notary public or stockbroker must certify:
— at the end of a photocopy of the power that it is a true and complete copy
of the original; and
— on each page of the photocopy, if the power includes more than one page, that the page is a true and complete copy of the corresponding page of the original]

I usually wait until I am in a particularly bad mood (I never have to wait long;) ) before falling out with a Bank. It usually cheers me up no end. :D

Good luck!

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Sue et all,

thanks so much for your advice and help. Sue your specific quotes are so helpful and this is just the kind of feedback I was after! I'm printing this off to help with a couple of letters this evening.

thanks again
Craig

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Craig, you beat me to it.

Sue your advice is so understandable and helpful. Wished you had been around when I had problems.

Second thoughts: it was pre TP days. Thanks anyway Sue, please keep up the good work.

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
Craig symp

I have been trying since last december to access mums account with the alliance and leicester I been in three times and they have taken copies of EPA my passport , driving licence filled in forms etc and each time they have sent it of to head office guess what (gosh dont know whats happened) can you come in again.
I have lost patience now as am funding care fees myself so I have gone back to the solicitors. Since he wrote to them I have received a letter of apology and a promise that all will be sorted in two weeks (holding breath) lol

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sue,
Your information is priceless..... just the sort of thing I like to have to hand to beat recalcitrant organisations around the head with when they are being particularly dim and obstructive! :D :D :D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sue, your post is super.

I haven`t yet had any problems, having only just got our mutual EPAs, but if I ever do, I`ll have the answer at the tip of my fingertips.

Thank you so much.

Love xx

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
May

Bless
Had to look recalcitrant up and it says in my dictionary - obstinate in opposition so agree with you (learn something new everyday)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Norman said:
If there is no commission they must inform you of the cost before proceeding.

Thanks, Norman. The price ours quoted if we didn't go down the commission route was a cost per hour (about £120, I think!). Ours has spent very many hours sorting out our finances and dealing with EPA issues. I don't begrudge him a penny of his commission!

Good news today! We've finally got the cheque from the awkward insurance company!:) It's taken six months!. OK, it's going to be re-invested, but it's nice to look at it!:D And we certainly won't be using that company again!