Regarding Sitting Service

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Guess what:rolleyes: The Social Worker phoned me this afternoon to say that there was a delay with sorting out the sitting service. She said they'd had 70 referrals last week. I asked her whether she had any idea when I might hear anything and she couldn't really give an answer. I am a sceptic and expected this so it's good in that I'm not surprised and disappointed.

I am glad that things with Alan have improved quite a lot and that I don't feel desperate.

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Sitting service...

Hello Helen,

It sounds as though it's a case of "demand exceeding supply"...:rolleyes:

The sad thing is that "waiting until you're desperate!" isn't a wonderful thing to do.

Because I've had a sitter almost from the beginning, Eric has more or less come to accept it..and I really do need it now. It would have been much harder to get him to accept it at the stage he is currently at.

I understand your reaction...but I'd be inclined to keep on at them..otherwise you may find you keep sliding to the bottom of the list.

Loce gigi xx

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
crossroads

HI Helen could you contact crossroads direct your self . the sitter we have from there is great, well mached to Trev, makes him laugh and gives him some much needed male company, when many of his pals have vanished into the woodwork. he comes for 2 hours and i look on him as a friend now who i can have a laugh with to, so please persevere , and make it plain to ss that if you do not get some time for you you might need more long term help. know its not nice but you just have to make them listen and get the little bit of respite you are entitled to take care pam

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen

I was told from the start about the long waiting lists, so even though you aren`t desperate now, at least you`re on he list, as I am.
Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Helen

Yes, there are waiting lists, but keep nagging! The creaking gate, and all that!

Stress the effects on your own health, it's the best way to get some action. If SS think they'll have to take over if you break down, you'll get some help.

Cynical, maybe, but it is better if you can get sitters early.

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks Everyone

I have no intention of letting up because I don't want it to be an emergency situation that brings this about. They have no idea that Alan has improved and I have no intention of telling them because I have no idea how long it will last and even though he is much improved, I still need a sitting service in order to work in peace.

Just side tracking a little, Alan said tonight "do you want to come for a walk?" and we did:) Now that really was like old times.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Just side tracking a little, Alan said tonight "do you want to come for a walk?" and we did:) Now that really was like old times.

That's absolutely wonderful, Helen. And well done you for going with him, that must have done wonders for his confidence.

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
The Social Worker phoned me this afternoon to say that there was a delay with sorting out the sitting service. She said they'd had 70 referrals last week

Don’t sound very professional to me, just an excuse, Just Playing on your venerability.

Just because they have high leave of case loads it does not mean it has to reflex, back on to you.

If it goes on another week, I would be inclined to phone them back up asking to talk to their manger of social services, tell the manger what social worker told you, asking them if you’re on a waiting list. Where are you on that waiting list of her case load?

It’s not like s/he told you you’re on a waiting list of her case loads, because it you don’t ring them , there think your just coping OK .

Asking to talk to the manger is a tip my daughter gave me , as she working for social services doing her Master degree .

I was hesitant to do It, but with daughter support I spoke to manger . it work I got the services I wanted sooner rather then later .

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Margarita

Don’t sound very professional to me, just an excuse, Just Playing on your venerability.

You are probably right. The positive thing is that at least she phoned:rolleyes: I will take the advice given though and follow it up next week if I haven't heard anything.

Love

p.s. Alan's gardening again today:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

It`s so good to hear how well Alan is now he has obviously recovered from his virus infection and his surgery.

You have had some scary moments but hopefully they are well behind you for a good while yet.

Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Just to say that this thread is continued under the thread I'LL EAT MY HAT

Love