Refusing to shower and change clothes

Dootee

Mar 8, 2016
Hi, I posted earlier in the week saying I cant believe how changeable my Mom has become, that she can go from seeming almost her old self to becoming a bit aggressive and defending strange statements.
Its moved on again, the nursing home called today to advise she wont shower and has been resistant to changing clothes. I have seen a change in her , hiding clothing and wanting me to take it away. However now its got to an aggressive refusal and a statement of I will die first before you shower me. they have asked if I can go while they try and make her shower, they want to make sure I'm happy with how they deal with this. they tell me its not unusual and they don't seem too phased by it. I just wondered if anyone could offer advise, for how I can help or what I can do to persuade he to go along with it?
As always any advise so gratefully received - Thanks x
Its such a common problem. My mum hates having the water over her, hayes having her hair washed etc. I manage to sit her on a bath board occasionally and bath her down with a damp sponge, no flowing water. Tiniest bit of shampoo and sponge out it out. Or just dry it out. I've also started to use the No Rinse Shampoo no water required, just rub it in and she dries it herself with towel. Hair looks clean and its suffice. I bought it on ebay. There's also a No Rinse body wash but I wasn't fond of that.

Feri

Oct 15, 2021
Hi
1- The point that Steph122 made was a very important one. Six months ago my wife who has dementia had a stroke. Non of medical/paramedics that attended and treated her knew how to approach, talk or deal with her. From ambulance technician to the nurses and doctors in one of the top neurological hospital in the country. None of them. Not a single one had a slightest idea. So it is very important for you Melli and all of us to check carefully who is caring for our love ones? Do they have prop training and experience to handle a person with dementia? The fact that they are working in a care home or for a care provider company doesn’t mean they know it.

2- My first note in this blog was about my wife’s refusal to take a shower at home. Her reason to do so is different than all the comments here. She is suffering from Capgras Syndrome in which she sees me as an imposter, stranger man in the house and although after a year with the condition she started to like and trust the stranger man (sometimes woman) still she doesn’t want to ask for help and take her clothes off in front of him. She doesn’t want a carer at home and doesn’t accept our daughter to help her. This problem exist with using the toilet as well and each time I have to spend nearly an hour to persuade her to do so.
Unfortunately the comments I received on that occasion wasn’t helpful and our problem exists.

Winnie10

Feb 25, 2013
The shower bathing as others have said is a common problem. A friend had a similar problem with her Mum. She did not like the shower, did not like water over her head. She said it was "painful" she could not find the right words, what she meant was the temperature was not right for her. Dementia makes people more sensitive to temperatures. Mum said she didn't want a bath. It turned out she found the bathroom in the home too cool for her. Also she said she always had bubbles in the bath at home. Hiding beneath the bubbles also gives a little more dignity . The home explained they would make the bathroom warmer and asked what Mum favourite Bubble bath was. The problem was solved in this instance.

Sometimes it is not asking the right question, or sometimes it is asking too many questions that just makes the loved one cross. Because they can't understand why we can't see the problem with bathing.

Not wanting to change clothes, I think and I may be wrong is a sense issue also.

Your clothes smell of you, it is a familiar smell that you know. When the home wash them they don't smell of you any more. Also they don't smell of the detergent that you used at home. Nor the washing power your Mum used when you were a child. When the daughter washes the clothes they come back with a familiar smell. Daughter uses the same washing power as Mum would. It might not be the same washing powder, but it is a smell Mum recognises from her daughter's home.
Here is a thought:-
Even though things were ok 6/7 months ago, Mum was just "putting up with things". But in the longer term she wants to go back to that nice smell, from when when she did the washing.

We all long for things we liked in the past. Manufactures quite often "change the recipe" of ingredients in products. New improved they like to say. Well no they are not improved I liked the smell of the "old recipe."

Last edited by a moderator:

melli

Dec 9, 2021
The shower bathing as others have said is a common problem. I work for a carers centre supporting carers like you and I. Unpaid carers at home. One of my clients had a similar problem with her Mum. She did not like the shower, did not like water over her head. She said it was "painful" she could not find the right words, what she meant was the temperature was not right for her. Dementia makes people more sensitive to temperatures. Mum said she didn't want a bath. It turned out she found the bathroom in the home too cool for her. Also she said she always had bubbles in the bath at home. Hiding beneath the bubbles also gives a little more dignity . The home explained they would make the bathroom warmer and asked what Mum favourite Bubble bath was. The problem was solved in this instance.

Sometimes it is not asking the right question, or sometimes it is asking too many questions that just makes the loved one cross. Because they can't understand why we can't see the problem with bathing.

Not wanting to change clothes, I think and I may be wrong is a sense issue also.

Your clothes smell of you, it is a familiar smell that you know. When the home wash them they don't smell of you any more. Also they don't smell of the detergent that you used at home. Nor the washing power your Mum used when you were a child. When the daughter washes the clothes they come back with a familiar smell. Daughter uses the same washing power as Mum would. It might not be the same washing powder, but it is a smell Mum recognises from her daughter's home.
Here is a thought:-
Even though things were ok 6/7 months ago, Mum was just "putting up with things". But in the longer term she wants to go back to that nice smell, from when when she did the washing.

We all long for things we liked in the past. Manufactures quite often "change the recipe" of ingredients in products. New improved they like to say. Well no they are not improved I liked the smell of the "old recipe."
Hi Winnie, I think you are right, its on so many levels, Mom doesn't recognise her clothes so keeping the ones on she has comforts her. I have started doing the washing rather than the home, and when i take them back we do a sniff test to smell the usual conditioner ! she then accepts they are hers, but wont put in the wardrobe, she leaves them next to her layed out for next day. All the comments are so true, understanding and looking at what was their way of doing things, helps understand the behavior.
Thank you

electra2008

May 4, 2019
A few things I have picked up re showering
The water temp I now make sure it is only just lukewarm

if possible move the shower head away so only small amounts of water touch the body at first.

Also if you have an electric shower with ECO setting try that it comes out with a little less force.
Today we showered I strip down to undies and socks then if I get wet no prob.
We tried something new today, outside the shower I wetted his hair with a flannel and applied baby shampoo I got hubby to put shower gel on the front and underarms I did back and legs so all soaped up and and then into the shower the water is running and approx right temp I try to get him to feel the water on his hands and then walk into the water eventually he gets in and manages to rinse himself off. This took approx 30 mins in total, he does manage to dry himself off very well, and to be quite honest today was the easiest one yet.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Hi. I know it’s not easy. My dad has not had a bath or shower in over 3 years. He has very bad mobility and so the carers give him a strip wash all over. Even when his mobility was good it still was a problem. All I can say is persevere but sometimes you will win and other times it is easier to let it slide. It all depends on the mood. My dad can be an awkward soul at the best of times.
My paternal Grandmother lived with three spinster sisters. There tenement apartment (village outside Aberdeen) had an inside toilet but no other bathroom facilities, they strip washed in the kitchen at the Belfast sink. When they visited us they still never had a bath (no showers then). I don’t think they were ever submerged in water in their whole adult lives!! Considering our parents in their 90’s we’re probably brought up in similar circumstances maybe it’s not surprising (even though distressing for us) that they become so resistant to bathing and showering - that was something only for small children. …..

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
didnt they have municipal baths? there was a lot of stigma in using them and you had to pay as well. can totally see why they dont want a bath in the carehome as i suppose they see it like that. my nan had indoor toilet and bath in her bungalow but it was so cold out there that she used to bring a bowl of hot water into the living room and wash by the fire. she used to warm her clothes up as she was washing. she only had a coal fire at one point although did get electric fire in her bedroom and "best" room as they had no heating. she used to hand wash her double sheets in the bath.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
My first note in this blog was about my wife’s refusal to take a shower at home. Her reason to do so is different than all the comments here. She is suffering from Capgras Syndrome in which she sees me as an imposter, stranger man in the house and although after a year with the condition she started to like and trust the stranger man (sometimes woman) still she doesn’t want to ask for help and take her clothes off in front of him. She doesn’t want a carer at home and doesn’t accept our daughter to help her. This problem exist with using the toilet as well and each time I have to spend nearly an hour to persuade her to do so.
Unfortunately the comments I received on that occasion wasn’t helpful and our problem exists.
This is the problem with mum, too. She feels vulnerable already, so the thought of stripping off in front of anyone is horrifying to her.

ElizabethsCarer

Feb 11, 2020
I look after my mum in our house and have done so since I took her out of the care home where she was sent after a fall at home. We moved house to accommodate mum. When I decided to do this I was very naive as to the type of tasks involved and the hardest time for me is shower time and wiping my mums bum. She doesn’t know when she’s going at all and this morning we had a particularly nasty episode, mums hands were in it and it was everywhere, her shower room is only 5 steps away and Harv refuses to get in so I’ve just had to lie her on the bed and give her a strip wash. I would love some advise from other caters if there is anything I can do to make this easier for both of us? I’ve obviously wiped baby’s bottoms but adult bottoms are a whole new thing and I find it almost impossible to get my mum in the right position. . My mum is really frail and can’t roll over the bed so I can get to her. I’ve bought sanitiser wipes and use hospital hair wash for her hair which requires no water.

Rollwithflow

May 15, 2019
Hello, My husband has had ALZ for 14 years. He's now bed bound/hospice and doing fairly well with my care at home. I've experienced almost everything mentioned. His fear of showering was stepping in to anything. Showers may be over and you must move on to the next stage. There are 7 stages to ALZ. I suggest reading "The 36 Hour Day". This reading will explain all stages that will become very important information. ALZ is a disease that can't be fixed, a one way street. You can't change that just make sure you stay in control of yourself. I took my husband off all meds and he's doing great. If your leg is broken who get's the cast? Take some calm down meds per your doctor and get ready for the ride. It ain't easy...