Refusing to accept

Dog Lady

Dec 22, 2014
My MIL has been under a section 2 then section 3 of the MHA since the 13th Sept. My husband was told in a meeting on Wednesday that his Mum has no mental or financial capacity. He was also told that she needs 24 hour care and due to her diabetes and lack of understanding of it she needs to go into a residential nursing home.
My MIL is convinced that she can go home and looks after herself well (she can't cook, wash or handle home life alone).

A nursing home came out to assess her today in the psychiatric hospital but she refused to engage with them, they are going to try again next week but, what happens if she wont engage?
She is a very stubborn lady and I know that she will never back down and realise that this is what she needs. She can't stay in the hospital long term.
Where do we go from here???

Thanks
Dog Lady

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Oh doglady, I'm so sorry this distressing time has happened.

Welcome to Talking Point, it's a great place to read and pick up ideas and to rant if needs be too.

I would be guided by the hospital as to what happens next. If she continues to be deemed as lacking capacity then others have to make arrangements for her. If the home is willing to take her then I'm sure that is what will happen. The home will provide her care like the hospital does now. She may take a while to settle. This would certainly be a time for love lies. To tell someone who doesn't want to go into a home that in fact that is where they are going and where they are going to stay is cruel and unnecessary even if it is the truth.

Others will be around with direct experience of this to help. Please ask questions as you go along this journey.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Will MiL consider staying in a "convalescent home" for a while till the doctors consider her fit enough to go home?

Bod

Dog Lady

Dec 22, 2014
Thanks for the replies, its a difficult time for us as we don't know whats happening other than knowing she's not going home.
My DH has a phone call once a week after ward rounds, but trying to get him to ask questions is difficult as he feels so guilty about her being in hospital and knowing she is so unhappy.
Its so hard dealing with everything, knowing she is going to be properly looked after but having to also deal with the guilt she puts us under and then her verbally abusing us.

Dog Lady