1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Emotions

Emotions Registered User

May 23, 2015
    Hi all.

We've had an feeling for 9 months, but finally, my granddad was diagnosed with alzheimers about a month ago. Hes early stages. When the doctor told him about the memory tablets, my granddad refused to have them saying that hes 'never once even taken a pain killer so why should i start taking meds now' hes VERY stubborn so no chance of any of his family talking him round.

So my question is; without having these memory tablets (not sure what the tablets were called) to help him, will his alzheimers get worse a lot quicker? What will happen to him compared to someone who does actually take the memory meds?

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    They are called Aricept/Donepezil and are supposed to slow the decline down. How much they really help is hard to say and will depend on the individual. I don't know whether they exist in liquid form but it's worth asking. I think you can get them as patches though I am not sure that will help in this situation.