Refusing medicine now food........

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Well I though I had it sussed hiding his medicine in food, well maybe not. Sir is now refusing to eat, maybe he is aware something is in his meals, I don't know. He is just so sad and confused looking at the moment its heartbreaking. If I push too much then he gets up to leave, so I try not to pressure him. Only managed abit of cereal and a chocolate slice at 1500 which had some medicine in it. No lunch, does not want dinner and only had a few sips of water. He is so suspicious, the only thing on the plus side is he has been calm all day.

Any ideas..............

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Keegan2, l feel for you, my hubby would not eat much before he went into care, he thought l was trying to poison him, he lost weight, if was very difficult with taking his tablets, l would find them in his pockets. It is all part of the discease, since he has been in care he eats everything that is given him, he has put on 2st, still not good with tablets. Sorry l cannot help you, only tell you about my experience.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi keegan2
not really sure what to suggest about the meds

about food - would he be less suspicious of anything that comes packaged, so that he could see it has not been tampered with
so bottled drinks that he opens - cans that he opens - any food that is in a wrapper and he opens it
if he won't accept something you offer, might he pick up something that was just left on show
so leave a bowl full of packets of crisps and individual wrapped cakes etc - with another container of bottled drinks - and have a fruit bowl nearby too
you could cover yourself by telling your son (in your husband's hearing) that you've left out a few snacks for him (your son) and you'd like him to have a drink as he's not taking in enough fluids, so just take any he likes - oh, and have some fruit, it's good for you after all that chocolate at Christmas
if your husband thinks this is aimed at your son he may be less suspicious that anything has been tampered with? and any drink and food is better than none

if he takes the bait - maybe then the meds can be hidden in something else later?

if he doesn't take any meds, please be prepared to make any emergency calls for back up if his behaviour causes you concern

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
keegan2

Well I though I had it sussed hiding his medicine in food, well maybe not. Sir is now refusing to eat, maybe he is aware something is in his meals, I don't know. He is just so sad and confused looking at the moment its heartbreaking. If I push too much then he gets up to leave, so I try not to pressure him. Only managed abit of cereal and a chocolate slice at 1500 which had some medicine in it. No lunch, does not want dinner and only had a few sips of water. He is so suspicious, the only thing on the plus side is he has been calm all day.

Any ideas..............

My husband does not refuse medicine, but has become unable to swallow even the smallest pill. One of his favourite foods is yogurt so I crush his tablets and mix in two teaspoons of yogurt which he takes very happily. I have not noticed any bad effects of doing this. And we don't have a fight about it. He also eats very well at the moment and is a bit overweight but although I try to give him healthy food he still is a bit overweight. Perhaps this might work. x