Refused hip replacement

Bertie's

Oct 14, 2015
Hi my sister & I look after my father between us he lives with my sister but when she goes to work I have my dad he stays every weekend with me.we are now 8 years on from being diagnosed with Alzheimer's as we all know it's longer from us knowing things going wrong.so we are in a routine with him he is 83 we manage his moments ha ha between us which we are lucky to be able to support each other.But the problem I have at the moment is my mother-in-law she has Alzheimer's & 4 years diagnosed but her hip has gone & was told it would need replacing so my father-in-law took her to the hospital to see the consultant & was promptly told he would not do the operation because of her mental state & fear of infection. My father-in-law was upset so I sent him back for a second opinion & I went with him only to be told the same thing plus by law they cannot operate unless mother-in-law was able to sign a consent form for the op.she would have to remember what she was there for & understand what the op meant (no chance) the only time they will replace her hip is when it breaks(great).Anybody had the same problem.Oh they also said the anesthetic would make her Alzheimer's worse & would not come back she would probably forget us.That upset father-in-law we came away.I am still not happy about this.We can do the after care I have done this before & would be able to put thing in place to look after her.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello , my husband been refused his operation too:( he has hardening of his stomach aorta which reduces his blood flow to the leg by 50%. When blood flow is further reduced to 30% they will amputate his leg instead of fixing the aorta. It makes me real sad as hubs is only 66 tomorrow. However they will operate at Kings London on his spinal stenosis but we needed to really push it, otherwise he would be bed ridden within a year. We have to take the risk of the anaesthesia as it could make his dementia worse xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi my sister & I look after my father between us he lives with my sister but when she goes to work I have my dad he stays every weekend with me.we are now 8 years on from being diagnosed with Alzheimer's as we all know it's longer from us knowing things going wrong.so we are in a routine with him he is 83 we manage his moments ha ha between us which we are lucky to be able to support each other.But the problem I have at the moment is my mother-in-law she has Alzheimer's & 4 years diagnosed but her hip has gone & was told it would need replacing so my father-in-law took her to the hospital to see the consultant & was promptly told he would not do the operation because of her mental state & fear of infection. My father-in-law was upset so I sent him back for a second opinion & I went with him only to be told the same thing plus by law they cannot operate unless mother-in-law was able to sign a consent form for the op.she would have to remember what she was there for & understand what the op meant (no chance) the only time they will replace her hip is when it breaks(great).Anybody had the same problem.Oh they also said the anesthetic would make her Alzheimer's worse & would not come back she would probably forget us.That upset father-in-law we came away.I am still not happy about this.We can do the after care I have done this before & would be able to put thing in place to look after her.

Welcome to TP :)

Dementia & anesthetic can be a nightmare combination.
There's also the added problem if them not understanding instructions & therefore doing things that would prevent healing.
Hip replacement is a big op.

alypaly

Nov 7, 2014
Same thing happened to us. My OH was told that his dementia would get worse and he would end up in a care home. Needless to say we were stunned and angry at this especially as the consultant happily told us that his hip would eventually fuse and he would be unable to walk at all. We decided that the risk of his dementia getting worse was small compared to the certainty of more pain from his hip and ending up in a wheelchair.
I read all I could and discovered that there was a risk that his dementia would appear to get worse after the op. but that there was a reasonable chance that once he had recovered it would return to the same level as before - and that was exactly what happened.
I went back to the GP and told him that I was appalled at the way we were treated and that we wanted the op done and were willing to accept the risk - I even said if he didn't write to the consultant I would and the letter would not be nice. We were lucky and the decision was reversed. I would have gone to my MP if it hadn't been done. OH had his op (not at the same hospital - we requested another one). He was worse after the op and I had to stay with him in hospital 24/7 to keep him calm. He was in for 3 days and was quite difficult wanting to leave etc but after about 4 weeks he was back to "normal" again.
We also had 3 months of physio BEFORE the op to strengthen muscles and practice the exercises. I think that made a huge difference as he was back walking really quickly and we have never looked back. He is pain free and walking his beloved dogs again and has a much better quality of life.

Bertie's

Oct 14, 2015
Refused operation

Hello , my husband been refused his operation too:( he has hardening of his stomach aorta which reduces his blood flow to the leg by 50%. When blood flow is further reduced to 30% they will amputate his leg instead of fixing the aorta. It makes me real sad as hubs is only 66 tomorrow. However they will operate at Kings London on his spinal stenosis but we needed to really push it, otherwise he would be bed ridden within a year. We have to take the risk of the anaesthesia as it could make his dementia worse xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hi I have read the effects & tests that have been done on people with Alzheimer's & they do have a difficult time after the op but given the time & a lot of help majority seem to return to their original state so fingers crossed your husband will return to his normal state :eek::

Bertie's

Oct 14, 2015
Dementia & anesthetic

Welcome to TP :)

Dementia & anesthetic can be a nightmare combination.
There's also the added problem if them not understanding instructions & therefore doing things that would prevent healing.
Hip replacement is a big op.

Hi yes I realise it is a a big op as I have been there with my own mum whom had both hip replaced at different times plus she was OK mentally.that does make a difference.but my mother-in-law is climbing stairs & though I had handrails etc put into place it is a big struggle for her I feel that if she falls it won't be a case of broken hip that has to be done but a broken neck game over.The second consultants finale shot was he can't operate without her cognitive consent(no chance) so once again nothing.break your hip before we will do anything if you survive that long.Father-in-law is struggling big time but I have to be careful as I am the in-law:)

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. Welcome to TP.
I fractured my hip around four months ago ( I don't have dementia)
And had it replaced and now am over the moon :)

I was offered the choice of a general Anasthetic or
Sedation with a spinal block.
I opted for the latter , the spinal block was given after being sedated. Hopefully I won't but if I need another replacement I would choose sedation and a spinal block again.

They want you up out of bed and walking very quickly after this sort of op , you have several exersizes to do many times a day, pain relief is needed. Sometimes a blood transfusion too.

Good luck, please let us know how you get on

On the Orthopedic ward I was on, their was at least one person who had the same op as me and it certainly seemed to me that she had dementia, she certainly kept the staff and us patients on our toes esp in the mornings

Sedation, just being in hospital or having a general anaesthetic can cause problems with dementia symptoms worsening .
Sadly the deterioration doesn't always improve fully and occasionally their is no worsening of dementia.

Speaking personally I would go back to the GP. I suggest you print off your first post on here for the GP to read.

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Like Lin1, I also had a hip replacement and spinal+sedation, and agree that it is marvellous getting your life back. However, it is a major op. the exercise routine is pretty relentless and care needs to be taken with every step for the first six weeks or so. I guess its the old scarce resources balancing act. Apart from the enormous cost, will the resulting quality of life etc. ??? Of necessity, the age and stage of dementia will of course play a part. As I understand it, the outcome of anaesthesia is usually negative on Dementia patients, though its good to hear of the odd exception. but I guess its human nature to fight the cause for your loved one. Please keep us posted. My Mum with Alz at 90 had her hip 'pinned' though it had broken. Negative outcome I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
My mum had her second hip done five years ago at age 88. Dad died while she was in hospital. She did minimum exercise mind you she didn't do much when she had the first hip done. She is as immobile now as she was before the op. She had hers on private medical insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Like Lin1, I also had a hip replacement and spinal+sedation, and agree that it is marvellous getting your life back. However, it is a major op. the exercise routine is pretty relentless and care needs to be taken with every step for the first six weeks or so. I guess its the old scarce resources balancing act. Apart from the enormous cost, will the resulting quality of life etc. ??? Of necessity, the age and stage of dementia will of course play a part. As I understand it, the outcome of anaesthesia is usually negative on Dementia patients, though its good to hear of the odd exception. but I guess its human nature to fight the cause for your loved one. Please keep us posted. My Mum with Alz at 90 had her hip 'pinned' though it had broken. Negative outcome I'm afraid.

Thanks for reminding me, I should have mentioned in my post, that for 12 weeks their are things you should not do as its possible to dislocate the new hip.

Just to mention a few of the no no's
Things like not bending or raising your legs out of 90 degrees ie L shape,
Not sleeping on your side
You need to Go up n down stairs a certain way.
Not getting into a bath.
You shouldn't get in a normal shower, a low profile one is fine. Yes their are several more things.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk

What a load of old excuses, Bertie. I dunno how they'd stay in a job at my local hospital. They were brilliant with my hubby. Took my word as bond and signed the form themselves for his operation for a fractured hip. I wasn't even there as it was midnight! The doctor called me up at home. We chatted and I said if all is good, I'm happy for him to have the op, nd thank you very much. That was basically it. That was the Saturday night. Op was done the following Monday. It didn't make my hubby's dementia worse, either. In fact, going to hospital finally got us the care we needed.

You're welcome to take this message and pass it on to whoever you think might help you.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi, yes, I had my hip done 10 years ago with epidural. Exercises for some time beforehand to build up muscle, though looking back, I guess there was loads of muscle there anyway, I used to do a lot of walking.
Lin, I'm sure I was told I could lie on the operated side if necessary. Not bending the hip post op is very important as the hip can dislocate otherwise. I know two people to whom this has happened - on via sitting on a low loo, the other on a low sofa.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I gather there are very important rules for the person to stick to after a hip replacement. When it comes to dementia, I suppose there will be concerns that the person will not remember or want to do them, and unless they are watched constantly - probably 24/7 - will do the wrong things.
We have a friend with no dementia who is very stubborn and would not stick to what he was told to do after a hip replacement, and as a result the hip has never really been right.

sheelz

Sep 1, 2014
Hi Bertie's . this is a mirror image of what we are going through with my mom, it is a horrible situation, when my mum gets up from her chair and attempts to walk (hobble) you can hear her hip bone grinding, an accident waiting to happen, very worrying for everyone. So sorry you're going through the same.

Bertie's

Oct 14, 2015
Hi Bertie's . this is a mirror image of what we are going through with my mom, it is a horrible situation, when my mum gets up from her chair and attempts to walk (hobble) you can hear her hip bone grinding, an accident waiting to happen, very worrying for everyone. So sorry you're going through the same.

Hi sheelz will keep everyone posted on any progress we might get.But just to put a smile on the whole farce.Because my father-in-law will not talk in front of her as though it's a big secret(dah) she thinks we are trying to put her away I try & put her mind at rest but the seed is there.anyway when we saw the surgeon he asked her to try & walk without aid.We helped her up off the chair steadied her & let go she wobbled the hip locked in place & ****** me she walked normal with a bit of a swagger tongue in cheek & smirked at us the room was small so it was very few steps but enough for the surgeon to say no.when we put her back in her wheelchair & left got to the car we could'nt get her out of it she was in great pain so with a great deal of manipulation we got her in the car(she's not a small person) I asked her how she managed to walk in the room?answer huh if he thinks he's putting me away that showed him.god you've got to lovem lol.At least it broken the tension what a curve ball.Its not easy but there is bright side now & again:)

Bertie's

Oct 14, 2015
:confused:Hi I am back with the latest news.Well we got turned down again even though they admitted it needs doing.Dementia was the excuse we had the law quoted at us because my mother-in-law could not remember what he was saying or understand what he was on about meant she could not sign the consent form.I said my father-in-law was there that he wanted mum to have the op as the spouse he can speak for her?wrong make sure you get the power of attorney before you get them diagnosed cos after that life really gets complicated.To be able to help her now father-in-law would have to be made a deputy of court at a cost of £500.00 to be able to sort her finances & health/ welfare a will or wishes do not cover this situation.meanwhile I sort help when we got turned down the second time.The Alzheimer's Societies advocacy department was 1st class I told them all about the probs & they agreed that this was'nt right so they where willing to draft a letter to the hospital to request a meeting with all concerned also to accompany us so if they quote the law at us they could reply there & then.So made an appointment with the advocate to meet with us to draft a letter on 10th Nov 15.Scuppered big time the doc phoned father-in-law 30th October 15 saying it pointless trying again the hospital has made its mind up so don't bother pushing it.He said he could try & refer mum outside the county but we would get the same result.I was fuming when I heard but father-in-law has given in my hands are tied I have to bow down to his wishes.I called the advocate to cancel the appointment they agreed with me & would have still arranged a meeting but without dad it's a no go.If he'd have had the power of attorney he could have ok'd for me to have pushed forward without him getting too involved & confused with goings on its frightened him.So now we have to wait for mum to break the damaged hip or neck for anything to be done.All because she cannot speak for herself.Shame on the powers that be at the NHS.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robert F Smith