Refusal to wear hearing aids

Aggie79

Nov 6, 2018
I have found with Mum that when she doesn't wear her hearing aids or they have gone missing I always have to shout at her so she can hear me. There is no way of shouting without sounding annoyed. I've tried every way of raising my voice enough so Mum can hear but no matter what I do I sound annoyed. I don't want her to think I'm annoyed with her all the time. Sometimes when she eventually catches what I say she'll actually say " There's no need to shout at me "
Susan
There's just no winning sometimes, eh? I'm sure you don't sound as annoyed as you think you do, and I'm sure your mum will be able to tell from your expression that you're not. x

Aggie79

Nov 6, 2018
Hearing aids can be very intrusive and hearing loss can change with dementia if the brain loses the ability to process sound in the usual way.

It`s a double loss for people with dementia who have difficulty in accepting change or instruction.

Occasionally I hear the most unexpected sounds which surprise people and make them think I`m over exaggerating my deafness which might be an explanation for those who sometimes think deaf people have selective hearing loss.
I think this may happen to Grandad too... I think there's sometimes a risk that the aids pick up unwanted noises and make it harder for him to hear what he wants to.