Refusal to eat and drink

Lat3

Oct 15, 2015
West Midlands
My husband has behavouiral variant Fronto temporal dementia, for the last 2 weeks he has been refusing food and drink,not even snacking. The advise I have been given from the Mental Health Team is to take him to A/E if I think he is becoming dehydrated.
Sadly this happened on Sunday last spoke to 111 who sent a paramedic ,he deemed that hubby did not have capacity and commenced I.V fluids and took him to A/E.
A/E state that they will not give I.v fluids to persons who can mechanically drink. After overnight stay he was discharged with referral to M.H.T for long term management plan.
I feel I am in a catch 22 situation hubby has not taken any fluids again for 48 hours where I am expected to watch my husband self harm without any assistance from medical staff.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how was it assisted or resolved

Lat3

Oct 15, 2015
West Midlands
Welcome to TP :)

Have you tried talking to the mental health team again or the GP?[/QUOTEHave spoken to Mental Health Team they prescribed Olanzipine and are aware that I cannot get compliance due to him refusing fluids, they are aware that he feels water is contaminated even bottled water, they just tell me to refer to A/E if I feel
He is dehydrated.