Reflections

Safi

Apr 2, 2020
My husband has a real problem with reflections as convinced it’s either his twin brother in the room or some other man bothering him. It’s got to the stage when staying in a hotel that he won’t use the bathroom as says “that man is in there.” Wondered if others find this a problem? We had a weekend away recently and tried something. I packed a newspaper and a roll of sellotape to cover the mirrors! I wrote a note on the paper for the hotel cleaner just to explain why! Thought it might be helpful to share. It did help

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
My husband had a problem with mirrors too. He no longer always recognised himself, he didn’t think he was 80! He did think it was another person or depending on the angle of the mirror another room.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Yes, it's common. At mum's care home there was a mirror in the lift too and she sometimes refused to go in it, complaining that, 'That stupid old woman is always in there and I can't stand her. She gives me dirty looks.'

Many people cover mirrors, as you have, and also be aware of window reflections when it's going dark - close the curtains early!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you are going on holiday somewhere you could also use windowlene (or similar product) to smear over the mirror. It will be easier to clean off when you leave.

Safi

Apr 2, 2020
Yes, it's common. At mum's care home there was a mirror in the lift too and she sometimes refused to go in it, complaining that, 'That stupid old woman is always in there and I can't stand her. She gives me dirty looks.'

Many people cover mirrors, as you have, and also be aware of window reflections when it's going dark - close the curtains early!
Yes, this happens quite often! He refused to get in lift in M & S yesterday as “that bloody man in there!” People around us quite startled! We managed eventually! Wish there were dementia friendly lifts! And hotel rooms!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024