Referred to memory clinic

MamarC

Dec 3, 2021
Hi I’m am 60 years old and have been referred to the memory clinic and after a four month wait I have a phone appointment next week. The reason I went to GP is I have had a few occasions when we are driving in the local area (husband driving) and I have looked up and have no idea where we are. I get a sense of panic that I can’t recognise/remember the surroundings and once I realise where I am I’m even more anxious as it’s somewhere I am normally really familiar with. Also more recently I have been waking up completely blank - I know we all do this sometimes, wake up not knowing what day it is etc but this seems worse than that and has started happening a couple of times a week.

Ive no idea if these are signs of early dementia but I wanted to get it checked out ASAP as we are raising our 11 year old granddaughter after our daughter died from a brain tumour four years ago and I have to stay fit and well for her.

When the GP referred me she mentioned some blood tests and also that my symptoms could be due to stress (have my own business and also suffer from depression now and again for which I’m on long term med)

Please could anyone advise re what blood tests I should have and also if my symptoms sound familiar with regards to early dementia. I’m scared and worried but need to know what my future holds for the sake of my gd TIA

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @MamarC and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I'm sorry that your worries about your health have brought you here. The last few years must have been very tough ones and I can understand why you want to stay as well as you can for your granddaughter.
I don't know if this fact sheet from the NHS if will helpful to you about what the tests you will be having will be looking at
Stress, low vitamin B12 levels and quite a few other things can cause dementia like symptoms so it's good to have a thorough check-up to find out what is happening. I'd try not to second guess what the outcome will be but if it is dementia you will get lots of advice and support here.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Brain fog is also very common around menopause. Mine came early but I thought it was early onset dementia. (Fortunately not!) The memory clinic will talk to you and do various tests (I hope) that can give a better idea of what's wrong. Fingers crossed for you...

MamarC

Dec 3, 2021
Hi everyone thank you for all your reassuring replies. I have just got off the phone from my assessment and altho I concentrated very hard and thought I’d done well she has told me they will have an MDT meeting tomorrow and I will most likely be referred for a brain scan. I’m worried and relieved about this at the the same time. Do you think because I didn’t ‘pass’ the assessment I will already have been dx with dementia and the brain scan is to asses the extent/progression or do I need the brain scan to get the diagnosis one way or another? I am pleased I’m getting it looked into as, as scary as it is l, I need to do it for my granddaughter who lives with us and relies on me for everything since her mum, our daughter, died four years ago Thank you for listening cx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @MamarC , I'd try if you can not to wonder too much about why a scan may be ordered. They are probably ordering the test to rule various things in or out. If you are concerned could you phone them back and ask.
I'm sure others who have been in a similar situation will be along soon with their input, but in the meantime try not to dwell on possible outcomes. Easier said than done I know.

MamarC

Dec 3, 2021
Thank you ? well we are of you collect our granddaughter from school and go to the cinema to watch west side story this afternoon as it’s our wedding anniversary. Thank you for reply cx

Eogz

Sep 9, 2021
Hi everyone thank you for all your reassuring replies. I have just got off the phone from my assessment and altho I concentrated very hard and thought I’d done well she has told me they will have an MDT meeting tomorrow and I will most likely be referred for a brain scan. I’m worried and relieved about this at the the same time. Do you think because I didn’t ‘pass’ the assessment I will already have been dx with dementia and the brain scan is to asses the extent/progression or do I need the brain scan to get the diagnosis one way or another? I am pleased I’m getting it looked into as, as scary as it is l, I need to do it for my granddaughter who lives with us and relies on me for everything since her mum, our daughter, died four years ago Thank you for listening cx
I'm in the same boat, the scan is to rule out possible dementia by observing physical changes on the brain. My scan is 10am today and a likely Neurology appt in the new year.
It is a worrying time, but there could be lots of reasons why you are experiencing these issues. Especially with the other stresses you have going on.
I'm 51, similar issues with other symptoms as well, but everything is very mild.
Try to see it as them ruling out dementia before helping with the other causes of your issues.
All the best to you.