Referred for brain scan

Sipsy

May 26, 2019
Over past 2 years my 72 year old mum has had a complete personality change to say the least and she always insults me and dad and rest of family She is now waiting for a brain scan after I told consultant that it's not her memory that's gone it's everything else and I said dementia can occur like this I didn't want to argue with him obviously but explained that she is not herself and needs further investigation has anyone else experienced this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Sipsy and welcome to DTP

What sort of symptoms you have depends on exactly which part of the brain has been affected by the dementia. Some types of dementia start in the frontal lobe and this affects things like personality, decision making and emotional control, but doesnt affect the memory.

See what the scan says

Sipsy

May 26, 2019
Hi thanks for replying yes that's exactly what's happening she is following my dad everywhere he only gets a break when I go to see them then I get insulted even a little slap sometimes for trying to choose clothes for her even snatches them off me and wears same clothes instead does not do any daily tasks shopping list nothing tells everyone to shush so she can see what my dad's doing not interested in anyone or if their ok very selfish she is and hurtful. I feel by saying this I'm talking behind her back or I feel I'm exaggerating but this is how she is now and fingers crossed scan will have some answers. Thank you

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Hi there, My Dad is the same, diagnosed last year at 59. He has Fronto-temporal Dementia and his memory is the least affected, its his behaviour, reactions, feelings that all changed. He never swore which he now does, he can be very agitated and aggressive (he's currently under a section but thats a story for another time) Medication has helped although its not at the moment, keep pushing forward for the scan. I really had to push to get a date within 2-3 months, otherwise they wanted him to wait 6 months plus and I refused, i even said I would take him day after day and wait for a cancellation, that seemed to do the trick. The Scan showed severe atrophy in the frontal and bi lobes (FTD) and with some in the hippocampus region which is typically Alzheimers I believe.

All I can say is keep pushing until you have the information you need and a diagnosis, we were very lucky from what I read here, my Dads original GP appointment was 16th April 2018 and full diagnosis following a Scan was 15th July 2018, however as I said above, I didn't take no for an answer as we were just in limbo.

Good Luck, Adele