• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Reducing council tax bill


Registered User
Jun 15, 2015
Came across something recently about being able to apply to LA for reduced council tax bill if have room used solely by a disabled person. If successful, pay tax one band lower than normal. My mother lives with us and since she hasn't been able to go upstairs we have had to build a downstairs bathroom for her and she lives in another downstairs room (our living room). I filled in the very simple form (1 side of A4) 2 weeks ago, had one phone call to check something, and today heard that we qualify for the reduction backdated to the start of this tax year. A useful saving as I had to give up work when my mother moved in. So if you're in this position - and I know many are - do check with your council. :)


Registered User
Mar 26, 2014
I didn't know that you could get a reduction in council tax , as I thought because I live with my mum and work full time I had to pay the full amount . Our social worker just told me this year so I completed the form and the GP added that she had been diagnosed with dementia in 2003 so the council backdated it and we have just received a few thousand pounds back in arrears . So it is certainly worth applying for and ensure the GP adds date if diagnosis .