Reducing Anxiety experienced by people with dementia

caittskye

Nov 12, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm a final year design student at Brunel University London. As my Major Project I am looking into reducing the stress and anxiety experienced by people with dementia in hospitals, and am hoping to improve their experience.

I lost my gran to dementia earlier this year. Watching her battle through this awful disease has motivated me to create a product/service to make the life of someone with dementia slightly better.

If anyone would like to share their experiencest of hospitals be it good or bad I would be grateful to hear them.

Last edited by a moderator:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to DTP @caittskye. My brother is an OT and was a nurse, he has confirmed my worst fears about hospitals. Sorry you lost your gran to dementia, please accept my belated condolences.
I think over the last 6 years or so, the time since my partner went in with a seizure which made her dementia so much worse, hospitals in Bristol have become a bit better at dealing with patients with Dementia. The "this is me" booklet came out quicker last time than on previous occasions, though I am never sure if it is actually read. Last time round the junior doctor did call me to ask for more information on C's condition and that was an improvement. The hard part is still the long hours in A&E with nurses running around and monitors beeping far too often without ever being answered. That got me so stressed I had to leave, and then had to track down a nurse to help her to the toilet. It's not anyone's fault, too many patients and not enough staff whatever party is in office.
I suppose twiddle muffs to relieve the stress for both patient and carer might be worth a try, and maybe a quieter space away from the noise and the hustle and bustle.