Recurring UTI and increasing confusion

Priyavk1

Oct 28, 2015
Dear All

My mum aged 77 has been in the hospital for past 4 weeks. She initially was admitted due to a heart attack.

When this was resolved mum was transferred from Charing Cross to Hammersmith. This change increased mum's confusion dramatically. It was terrible to see. After a further week we were told she is suffering from UTI.

Mum has been in hospital for 4 weeks with UTI no sign of relenting. She's been on antibiotics throughout. Her dementia is rampant.

Dr's say the infection will take time to clear.the environment at the hospital does not help.

Will her dementia return to the level it was before she was admitted?

Many thanks for any thoughts

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Poor you and poor mum. That is a very very long time to have a UTI. Have you spoken in detail to the doctors about it, if not I would definitely ask to see the consultant and find out why it isn't clearing up? i'm sure others willl have more experience but my ma used to have them for a few days before the antibiotics kicked in and then she returned to how she had been before so i'm not much use. I can only say keep posting and others will be along soon with some help.

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
UTI and hospital-induced delirium is a rough mix! Is it possible to get her out of hospital to her usual environment to see of that helps? Unless she does not live in a supported environment....

My mother had delirium after an operation for 11 days and it was the worst thing we've been through. She was fine once she got back to assisted living.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That is a long time to have an infection. Have they not found the right antibiotic to clear it? Some bugs are resistant to the usual antibiotics.
UTIs are renowned for increasing confusion and once the UTI is gone it should improve, but it can take a few weeks and sometimes the UTI progresses the dementia, so they dont always return to exactly the way they were before.
I would try and find out what is happening with regard to the antibiotics.

raffyb10

May 19, 2016
Dad

hi I am new here, I was reading about uti's, my dad has been in a care home since last july, he was fitted with a catheter after many uti's and also because he had forgotten how to use the toilet he was urinating everywhere and also holding himself. 9 months later things have gone from bad to worse, dad is rarely without a uti, he was recently also hospitalized due to a blockage due to bowels problems (dad is double incontinent) he became aggressive and rude in the hosp and was diagnosed with another uti, he attacked some carers and was seen by a raids team who then put him on a drug used for schizophrenia for short term, he was then discharged to his care home, he has become slowly worse he punched a young carer has been smearing feces everywhere and has been aggressive to everyone. we are beyond worried and do not know what the answer is, the care home are waiting for dementia crisis team to attend.
I know dementia causes a lot of these symptoms but I feel very alone and the care home which specializes in Alzheimer care don't seem to have many residents any where near as bad as dad, its totally devastating to us all.
any advise or support would be gratefully appreciated
rachel