Recovery after hospital

Pitcher15

Dec 23, 2012
Bridport, dorset
Hi all,
I don't know what else to do! Dad got rushed to hospital Saturday night after a seizure caused by a uti. Scariest moment in my life. He came out last night and seems very perky in himself, however his mobility is bad. He used to wander up and down the stair quite happily and to the bathroom but he can't without help now. I believe he attempted to get out of bed last night but I found him on the floor. I'm at my wits end, I spent all last night checking on him and I am worried stiff to leave him. I have to go back to work next week and I don't know how dad will be. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how long did it take to recover?
Any help would be appreciated!
Sarah x

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Sorry to hear about your father I know how worrying it is, especially when you are working as well. My dad was in hospital recently with a double infection ( no seizure) for 5 weeks. The first week he came home he was absolutely dreadful to the point where we were preparing ourselves for the worst. He couldn't hold his own weight or walk at all, amongst other things. He has since improved a lot although sadly not back to the baseline he was at before the admission.

Hospital does seem to affect people with dementia quite badly. Not sure why but maybe somebody else on here can advise. Also infections are known to accelerate the condition. My dad has had numerous infections and hospital admissions this year and has always pretty much bounced back but this one has had more of an affect on him. He is however 84 and I've just been told is in the later stages of Alzheimer's.

I hope your dad returns to how he was before. But it may be a sign that you need to make plans for support for him whilst you're at work.

I hope things go well for you.

Wishing you strength xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Has his mobility reduced to a point now where using a frame to walk with might help? Hopefully he will recover but he may not. I would think about getting him assessed by an occupational therapist for a frame and encourage him to use it.
I never thought my dad would get used to his frame but he very quickly did. At first we had to remind him to use it but now he just uses it. He is so much steadier. He also goes at 100 miles an hour rather that 0.000001.
Good luck x

Pitcher15

Dec 23, 2012
Bridport, dorset
Thanks for your messages. Unfortunately he is now back in hospital, I made the decision that I could not care for him. I couldn't physically move him to change his pad so we've made the incredibly hard decision to put him in a care home. We just couldn't supply the care he needed and were making ourselves ill trying. I feel so guilty and scared about the future but almost relieved.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thanks for your messages. Unfortunately he is now back in hospital, I made the decision that I could not care for him. I couldn't physically move him to change his pad so we've made the incredibly hard decision to put him in a care home. We just couldn't supply the care he needed and were making ourselves ill trying. I feel so guilty and scared about the future but almost relieved.

Please try not to feel guilty , you have obviously tried very hard and done your level best.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do not feel guilty Pitcher. If you cant move him then he needs hoisting and you shouldnt be expected to lift him.
TBH the hospital should never have allowed him home without adequate support if his mobility was that poor. I am surprised that he was not put on a reablement scheme, which is usually about 6 weeks, to see how much he would recover. If hes back in hospital now try and push for that.