Recommendations for video doorbell

MumOfDogs

Dec 18, 2019
Hi all,

A very minor thing, but does anyone have any idea what the best video doorbell there is? Dad has vascular dementia and can be a bit too trusting. I've been there on a couple of occasions when people have come to the door being a bit pushy, selling stuff, asking to buy his caravan on the drive etc. I'm looking for something that will alert me when I'm at work, just so I can keep an eye out. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Have a look at Ring, we installed one at Mums house mainly because of scammers knocking at her door. As it was my sister who arranged it, together with three other external security cameras, I don’t have details but I think we paid a small monthly fee for enhanced features.

I was able to save a recording of a man asking mum for money ( she had obviously given him some previously) so he could get a train to Leeds to get his wife’s body brought home! I missed the live conversation as I was driving so not able to use the app on my phone. Luckily mum was rather confused as he’d woken her up from a nap so that time she did not follow what he was saying and he gave up. I contacted the police, sent them the video and they were able to use it to persecute the man - he was already on bail for similar offences so my video was additional evidence to extend his sentence.

There were other times when I did use the device to talk to cold callers before mum got to the door and it did deter them.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
This website might be useful to help you decide what technology you need https://meetadam.co.uk/.
My mother's neighbours had a Ring door bell and used it to send us videos of my mother knocking on their door and shouting abuse at them :( . It seemed to work well.

MumOfDogs

Dec 18, 2019
Have a look at Ring, we installed one at Mums house mainly because of scammers knocking at her door. As it was my sister who arranged it, together with three other external security cameras, I don’t have details but I think we paid a small monthly fee for enhanced features.

I was able to save a recording of a man asking mum for money ( she had obviously given him some previously) so he could get a train to Leeds to get his wife’s body brought home! I missed the live conversation as I was driving so not able to use the app on my phone. Luckily mum was rather confused as he’d woken her up from a nap so that time she did not follow what he was saying and he gave up. I contacted the police, sent them the video and they were able to use it to persecute the man - he was already on bail for similar offences so my video was additional evidence to extend his sentence.

There were other times when I did use the device to talk to cold callers before mum got to the door and it did deter them.
Thank you. I have been having a look at Ring. Which version did you get?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I have Ring myself. You pay a small fee per year to get your visitors recorded do you can retrieve the footage. It works well but I have found that by the time I have reacted to an alert and loaded the app on my phone the caller may have left. Useful if your PWD is getting unwelcome visitors though.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Yes Martin, I agree that you need to be quick when the alert sounds and have fast broadband! Luckily for us, my sister is one of those people, unlike me, who have their phone welded to their hand so was very speedy at responding!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbH