Recommendations for good GPS tracker - for UK use

verjoe

May 7, 2013
Kennington SE11
This is what I am looking for please:

1. Accuracy of GPS - updates frequently
2. Preferably fob design - for use on key ring
3. Good signal pick up range - app operated more reliable?
4. Cheap call costs - when calling the fob to speak to user AND clear audible ring so user can hear it and speak to the caller through it or it can be found if around the house/locality
5 Long battery life

If you have hit on a really good one, please share name of company/model with me, and where to buy, if known.

So grateful for any information please.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @verjoe Our local authority provides the "One touch person alarm" as an add on to the care phone package. My MIL has it on her key fob as she still takes them when going out. We get emails and automated telephone calls if my MIL goes outside a very small geofenced area. We can also log into the app at any time to request a location. The geofencing can be varied quite a lot, we have offset the centre so we can see if she is going on dangerous roads more quickly than if the centre is on her house. The map is very accurate - can have a street or satellite view and often I can even see which side of the road she is on which helps when trying to work out where she is going. There is only a small monthly charge, phone calls are not charged and we can go online to track her on the map. I can't comment on costs when going it alone but it may be with looking at what your own local authority provides ( ours has used different companies over the last 4 years and they all have their positive and negative aspects).
My father who is extremely deaf and partially sighted also has this, there is a single large button to press to call designated carers and my dad can hear if he puts it to his ear but he struggles to use a mobile.
I would certainly consider what you can get from the local authority as we can get a lot of other add on technologies eg door sensor alarms, pressure pads, daily recorded reminders and electronic medication dispensers.

verjoe

May 7, 2013
Kennington SE11
Hi @verjoe Our local authority provides the "One touch person alarm" as an add on to the care phone package. My MIL has it on her key fob as she still takes them when going out. We get emails and automated telephone calls if my MIL goes outside a very small geofenced area. We can also log into the app at any time to request a location. The geofencing can be varied quite a lot, we have offset the centre so we can see if she is going on dangerous roads more quickly than if the centre is on her house. The map is very accurate - can have a street or satellite view and often I can even see which side of the road she is on which helps when trying to work out where she is going. There is only a small monthly charge, phone calls are not charged and we can go online to track her on the map. I can't comment on costs when going it alone but it may be with looking at what your own local authority provides ( ours has used different companies over the last 4 years and they all have their positive and negative aspects).
My father who is extremely deaf and partially sighted also has this, there is a single large button to press to call designated carers and my dad can hear if he puts it to his ear but he struggles to use a mobile.
I would certainly consider what you can get from the local authority as we can get a lot of other add on technologies eg door sensor alarms, pressure pads, daily recorded reminders and electronic medication dispensers.
Hello.
Which local authority is endorsing this product? They should have an Assistive Technology department and I would like to contact them, do you have a number?
I should get the full manufacturer name from your local authority
Very pleased to hear it is accurate to side the street and satellite/street view
Do you know duration of a fully-charged battery if just left off the charge unit?
If you lose it in the house, can you dial the number and it emits a loudish noise OR can project voice through it until found? This happened with our existing tracker and beeping to find it only lasted 4 seconds, useless!
Seriously, no call charges to ring the tracker? Ours is 57p per minute!
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @verjoe its Kirklees council that supplies it as an add on to the care phone package. The charge lasts 3-4 days, there is an app where you can check the charge and it automatically rings you if low. I know there is a button on it for the pwd to contact us but I'm not sure if it works the other way. We have it on my MIL's keyring as she always leaves the keys in the same place and it makes it easier to find.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
We get automated calls when she goes out of the very small geofenced area and then its a case of going on the app and requesting location.. We can even look at the history and see how she got to where she is when we look on the app.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet