recognising UTI onset ?

Cfduti

May 13, 2013
As son, sole carer, I need to know what to be aware of when my Mum (89) may have a UTI developing.

Mum has not seemed particularly different to me and she tells me she is ok (perhaps one thing: she has seemed more concerned about my well being than usual. Projection??) but a bit tired and a sore back. which is not unusual, she does have a crook leg from a car accident.
A couple of hours later she is screaming and moaning continuously and was admitted to the hospital last night and seems better today (but they want to keep her a day or two more).

Today I find out that she has a UTI.

I gather it is difficult for her to tell me about things like that and seems to me that she may have suffered needlessly.

Can people outline to me what things to look out for and whether there is some way I can ask her without it being something she may be reluctant to say to me?

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My mum used to have a fairly sudden onset of increased confusion and aggression and her mobility got worse. When this happened I immediately took a sample to the GP to be tested. I am now doing the same with my husband. He doesn't show aggression but confusion is increased. I take samples into the GP on a regular basis! Sometimes it's a UTI sometimes t isn't. They don't mind my paranoia!!;)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My mum really didn't show any of these symptoms. The second list in the site describes the symptoms I used to see.