Recipe/diet ideas please!

Nackington

Nov 17, 2021
Hi all! I'm completely new here and am about to start cooking for a lay with Alzheimer's. Are there any good websites or recipe books any of you can recommend? I've heard the Keto and Mediterranean diets are good but I'd appreciate any tips. X

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I'm not sure that there is any evidence that a diet can make any difference to the progression of the disease.
In my experience, tastes change as things progress, and you just have to go with what the person is willing / able to eat.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
As dementia progresses you will get to a point that you will be glad if they eat anything, Many dementia sufferers favour sweet things, even if they never had a sweet tooth before.

I personally food that familiar food was more likely to be eaten- towards the end figer food became a thing as she couldnt steer a fork.

One of my absolute favourite memories of my late mum was her thoroughly enjoying her fav roast pork Roast dinner eaten entirely with her fingers

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Nackington and welcome to Talking Point.
Unfortunately, there is no diet that will hold back dementia, so just go (as far as possible) with a balanced diet. Unfortunately, as dementia progresses they become much more narrow in what they will eat, it becomes increasingly hard to get them to eat and what they do eat tends to be either very sweet or very salty things. My mums favourite was tinned fruit with evaporated milk! After a while you become an expert at "hiding" extra nutrition and calories into the things they will eat.

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
As dementia progresses you will get to a point that you will be glad if they eat anything, Many dementia sufferers favour sweet things, even if they never had a sweet tooth before.
One of my mom’s doctors/aids said the last thing to go is their sweet tooth. She said to sprinkle sugar on everything (veggies included) if we had problems getting her to eat in the future. My mom is not diabetic or overweight so the doctor said extra sugar wasn’t a problem. Her GP also advised at her age (86) it was really a question of calories over nutrition (she does take a multivitamin every day) and told her just to eat what she wants.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Intermittent fasting is rumoured to help prevent az

There are lots of fad diets around and intermittent fasting is one of the latest. I did this a couple of years ago and it affected my vision Once I began eating regularly again it was much better.

The best diet for anyone, with or without dementia is a well balanced diet eaten at regular intervals.

As has already been said , it can often be a problem getting people with dementia to eat a well balanced diet and sometimes we are grateful if they will eat anything

yosser

Nov 12, 2020
Shenley Brook End Milton Keynes
Thank’s for the heads up. Regarding eating I have a well balanced diet , and exercise with weights plus walking every other day. But I can’t seem to-drop below 14 stone, I’ve put down to my metabolism.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
is it muscle mass that weighs more @yosser with you doing weights?
i dont think fasting unless religious reasons really works as dont you eat more when you come off the fasting. it also wouldnt work if you had diabetes either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024