Recently prescribed Exiba

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi again

My mam, who was on Aricept, has now been given a prescription for a 5mg daily dose of Exiba instead. The doctor agreed to do this after assessing mam about a week ago.

On reading the leaflet that came with the medication, I realise that this should be stepped up to a gradually higher dose over the next month.

The doctor, however, has said that this cannot happen without mam having a blood test. Unless they can get blood from her she will not be able to increase the dose.

A nurse is coming tomorrow to attempt to take blood from my mam. (Whether they are successful is another matter.)

My question is - what is the blood test for? What is it testing for and why does this affect the dose that she's allowed to have?

Many thanks.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Best thing to do is ask the doctor.

Does your mother have other health problems, does she take any other medication, eg oral anti-coagulant?
If so the doctor may want to check for side effects before titrating the dosage.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Nitram, thanks for your reply.

Mam is on other medication for angina, epilepsy/narcolepsy, cholesterol etc so this probably has something to do with the blood test, I hadn't really thought of that, duh!

Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa