Recently diagnosed and in denial with Altzelmer's

Ursularainbow94

Jun 22, 2021
My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's this year and is in denial about it. She refuses to take any medication.I don't mention the Alzheimer's now in conversation.When she doesn't remember what day of the week .I just keep repeating it.I used to feel frustrated about her not accepting the diagnosis.Now,I realise how frightening this must be for her.I know it's hard for us loved ones.But,we need to try and be patient .

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Denial is par for he course, I wouldnt worry about it, Go with th flow, pick your battles.

My late mothers GP used to say that getting meds into her was better 'anytime' than starting the day off in conflict trying to administer meds. Mid morning with a cuppa worked for us

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Ursularainbow94

You are right, it is indeed hard for us loved ones. You can go a long way with patience and kindness.

You will find a great deal of information, support and advice for you here, so keep posting whenever you feel the need. It can feel very lonely caring for someone with dementia but there are many people out here to help you along the way.

Madmand

Aug 26, 2021
I was diagnosed in January with YOAD just went full steam ahead to get things in place like LPA’s and things when they were all sorted I just keep thinking perhaps they made a mistake they obviously haven’t because I know my memory is not right as I had to give up my job of 20 years and driving licence so I am trapped in my house, all I keep thinking is have I actually got it can’t get that out of my head.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman