Recent mood changes

Clambell

Jun 30, 2021
Hi there,

I’ve only just joined this forum and already finding it a brilliant source of information and clearly support for many too.
My lovely Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a few years ago and takes Donepezil. 5mg, but only recently increased to 10mg. As I’m sure many of you have experienced, this last year or two, we’ve seen significant decline in her, due to the restrictions and social distancing in place, but in recent weeks, the decline has been noticeably even greater. I’m not sure if this is due to the recent increase to 10mg, the fact that she’s been away this last week with my Dad and since returning home, more confused or a combination of many things.
She’s so low, to the point that’s she’s asking my Dad to put her into a care home and struggling to hold a conversation on the phone, which a few weeks ago, wasn’t a problem.
It’s distressing and sad to see and I just want to help her.
Claire

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Clambell, you are in the right place for information and support.

A couple of things could be happening, such as the recent change by being away. There is also the possibility of dehydration or an infection in the recent warmer weather.

Mood is a big thing in dementia as anxiety and depression are common bedfellows of dementia. My wife is medicated for these conditions as well as her dementia.

I would think that it's worth running everything past the GP.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Clambell It is quite possible that going away could have disorientated your mum. Negotiating a new environment can be very challenging to somebody with dementia and it can just wear them out for a while. Routine and familiarity become more important as the disease progresses. I found with dad that eventually it was better for him if I gave him less choices to make. Instead of reading the whole menu to him I would just say 'fish and chips look good' and he would agree. It was the same with TV we would watch old familiar programmes because dad could cope with them better than modern ones. He became less able to shop on his own so I always took him but he would always be behind even if I slowed up, I eventually realised that this was his way of keeping orientated, he basically did not want to lose sight of me.

Give her a little time at home and she may settle in a bit better. Dad was on donepezil for about 3 years with no effects but it may be worth mentioning it to the GP

Clambell

Jun 30, 2021
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. All very useful and it certainly sounds like a trip to the GP may be worthwhile to discuss and review meds