Recent Diagnosis

Ch123

Oct 19, 2021
Hi Everyone
My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, over the last month she has took an alarm dip in her actions, she’s constantly confusing family members both alive and deceased, and also accusing my dad of not being her husband. The speed of the change is really alarming!!! We’ve had her checked for a UTI and blood tests done, all came back as clear.
Just wondering if this sounds normal or wether it’s worth asking for more tests to be done???
Prior to this episode she was only suffering with what I would consider to be minor symptoms.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Does your mother have a diagnosis of vascular dementia? With this type of dementia it’s not unusual for there to be sudden large declines.

An infection causing an episode of Delirium is another possible cause of your mother’s dramatic deterioration. It’s possible that she has had an infection which has cleared but the symptoms of Delirium are continuing, as they can do for a while. I would be inclined to go back to the GP If your mother does not improve.

Finally, is your mother on any medication? If so, you could ask for her medication to be reviewed to see if her medication could be causing the sudden deterioration.

Ch123

Oct 19, 2021
Does your mother have a diagnosis of vascular dementia? With this type of dementia it’s not unusual for there to be sudden large declines.

An infection causing an episode of Delirium is another possible cause of your mother’s dramatic deterioration. It’s possible that she has had an infection which has cleared but the symptoms of Delirium are continuing, as they can do for a while. I would be inclined to go back to the GP If your mother does not improve.

Finally, is your mother on any medication? If so, you could ask for her medication to be reviewed to see if her medication could be causing the sudden deterioration.
Hi Violet Jane
Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated!
There’s been no mention of vascular only Alzheimers.
I think we’ll make an appointment with the GP as something just doesn’t feel right. She was all over the place last night. Maybe it is the medication or some sort of infection.
We are new to this and whilst under no illusion with where this is going, the progression is really alarming.
Again, thanks for the reply!!

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I think that you’re right to go back to the GP. Trust your instincts; you know your mother best and the change in her has been dramatic.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to Dementia talking Point @Ch123

It`s always best to check with a doctor when you have anxieties. There are few guidelines following a diagnosis and the dementia can be slow in progression or quite rapid and no one can really give a timescale.

JaspersMum

Dec 3, 2021
Hi Everyone
My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, over the last month she has took an alarm dip in her actions, she’s constantly confusing family members both alive and deceased, and also accusing my dad of not being her husband. The speed of the change is really alarming!!! We’ve had her checked for a UTI and blood tests done, all came back as clear.
Just wondering if this sounds normal or wether it’s worth asking for more tests to be done???
Prior to this episode she was only suffering with what I would consider to be minor symptoms.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi, can’t offer any advice but just wanted to say that I am in a very similar situation with my mum(recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s). Convinced that there is another man who comes around and that my dad isn’t her husband as well as having imaginary women coming into the house that upset and annoy her.
No urine infection and normal bloods.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi, can’t offer any advice but just wanted to say that I am in a very similar situation with my mum(recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s). Convinced that there is another man who comes around and that my dad isn’t her husband as well as having imaginary women coming into the house that upset and annoy her.
No urine infection and normal bloods.
Welcome to TP @JaspersMum