Recent diagnosis.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
Hello everyone.
My husband is recently diagnosed with mixed dementia. Alzheimer’s and Vascular.
I noticed some symptoms about five years ago but he went downhill in the last six months so it wasn’t a complete shock but already I’m finding that I’m mentally and physically very tired.
I think that I went into almost panic mode and hit the ground running trying to organise everything in the first couple of weeks.
I am lucky to have the organiser of the local memory cafe as a neighbour and a very good clinic locally.
Im not really asking for advice at the moment but I’m trying to read as much as I can about the condition.
Im already finding the forum very helpful.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @CAL Y. I’m sorry to read about your husband’s diagnosis but I’m so glad you’ve found this forum. I know you will get lots of help and support here. There’s always someone around to listen.

Keep posting.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
Welcome to the forum @CAL Y. I’m sorry to read about your husband’s diagnosis but I’m so glad you’ve found this forum. I know you will get lots of help and support here. There’s always someone around to listen.

Keep posting.
Thank you Izzy. I’m finding it a bit difficult at the moment to accept that he is only in the early stages as he has hardly any short term memory, wanders the house opening drawers and cupboards and watching any tv programmes is very difficult as he has already “seen them”. Even brand new series.
I also have to wake up 3 times a night to guide him back to bed.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@CAL Y this early stage is often exhausting precisely because they are still so active. Are there any Alzheimer’s groups near you or day centres? You will need a break so keep an open mind to anything on offer. Look into applying for Attendance allowance especially as you are up during the night. This should mean the higher level payment. It is not means tested and you could use it to pay for extra help.

Best wishes.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
@CAL Y this early stage is often exhausting precisely because they are still so active. Are there any Alzheimer’s groups near you or day centres? You will need a break so keep an open mind to anything on offer. Look into applying for Attendance allowance especially as you are up during the night. This should mean the higher level payment. It is not means tested and you could use it to pay for extra help.

Best wishes.
Thank you marionq I have applied for Attendance Allowance and been told that I would also be eligible for it as I have osteoporosis. So I will get that sorted when I have sorted out his paperwork.
I was also told that he will be eligible for a blue badge. Applied for that but made a mistake with the paperwork so have to start again. It’s all very frustrating isn’t it.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
That’s good. If by any chance you get turned down apply again and use a social worker or Citizens Advice person as it is one of those annoying things where you have to say all the right things to trigger the payment.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
That’s good. If by any chance you get turned down apply again and use a social worker or Citizens Advice person as it is one of those annoying things where you have to say all the right things to trigger the payment.
Will do.

Thereasa

Jul 31, 2021
Hello everyone.
My husband is recently diagnosed with mixed dementia. Alzheimer’s and Vascular.
I noticed some symptoms about five years ago but he went downhill in the last six months so it wasn’t a complete shock but already I’m finding that I’m mentally and physically very tired.
I think that I went into almost panic mode and hit the ground running trying to organise everything in the first couple of weeks.
I am lucky to have the organiser of the local memory cafe as a neighbour and a very good clinic locally.
Im not really asking for advice at the moment but I’m trying to read as much as I can about the condition.
Im already finding the forum very helpful.
Hi ,
My mum has just recently been diagnosed with unspecified dementia early stages . I have now become her carer since giving up my job in December as I noticed my mum was getting quite forgetful. My sister and me were reading a book called contented dementia but found it very repetitive and not as helpful as we would have hoped.
Since then my sister found another book called Dementia The one stop guide by June Andrews which is alot more helpful .I have only read the first four chapters but already have a better understanding of dementia .It has excerpts from real people as well would recommend

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
Hi @Thereasa . I’m sorry to hear about your mum. I had the book you first mentioned. Started off ok but I agree with you. I couldn’t finish it.
I have already picked up more useful information from this forum.
I would recommend you to keep reading on here.
At least everyone here has first hand knowledge of the subject.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Thereasa . Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

When my mum had dementia I bought a copy of June Andrew’s book and it was very informative. Several years later when my dad also got dementia I was lucky enough to find this forum which has far outstripped any book when it comes to dealing with dementia. I would have sunk without it.

I hope you find Dementia Talking Point as helpful as I did. Keep posting!