Recent diagnosis of early-onset alzheimers

egiappctaylor

Aug 10, 2020
Hi,

My mum who is 53, has been diagnosed with advanced early-onset Alzheimers. I feel a bit at a loss. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

I feel like I have not had enough time to spend with her, to lose her bit by bit, so soon.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @egiappctaylor, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

My wife was an early onset diagnosis some 4-5 years ago and whilst her dementia has progressed and she is now in day care 3 days a week we are still doing reasonably OK and are able to enjoy each others company. It's a bit strange when I'm not recognised but that isn't yet a permanent thing.

Try to be positive. An example of that is that just last week my wife was looking confused and when I asked if she was OK she asked me where Pete was. I could have taken that badly, or taken it as I did - that she was confused and was looking for me for comfort. That's the thing with dementia, names, relationships etc can be lost but the feelings and emotions often remain. Hold on to the fact that whilst your mum may get buried under her symptoms she is still in there and she still loves you.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Last edited:

Sophia95

May 31, 2021
Hi Paige,

Ive seen a couple of your posts and comments and was keen to respond to you as I’m in a very similar situation to you, I’m 25 and my mum was diagnose 3 years ago with Alzheimer’s at the age of 56. I also have very low days where my emotions all come flooding out..

I don’t really know anyone else my age in a similar situation and it’s hard to explain how I’m feeling when people ask how things are..

Here if you ever want to reach out x