Recent bedwetting

Tularoma

Dec 24, 2013
Hello, I am about to visit my mum who has later stages dementia and my dad who is her main carer. Mum has never acknowledged that she has a problem and in her world she is fine but everyone else is wrong. She is extremely stubborn and says 'no' to everything my dad asks her to do. Recently she has started wetting the bed, she refuses to wear any sort of incontinence protection and goes to bed fully dressed so there consequently are lots of clothes to wash. How can she be persuaded to wear proper nightwear which would be easier for her to manage if she needs to get to the toilet urgently. We have a nightlight and the bathroom door is left open so she can see where to go. Mum has elasticated trouser so they are easy to pull down. When there's an accident she takes the sheets off the bed and hides them, the same with any dirty underwear. We are having a lot of trouble getting her to shower and change her clothes anyway. I don't understand how she is unable to realise that she needs to keep clean as when a passenger in the car she shouts instructions to me when the traffic lights change!
This cruel illness has robbed us of a wonderful mum and wife.

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Hello, I am about to visit my mum who has later stages dementia and my dad who is her main carer. Mum has never acknowledged that she has a problem and in her world she is fine but everyone else is wrong. She is extremely stubborn and says 'no' to everything my dad asks her to do. Recently she has started wetting the bed, she refuses to wear any sort of incontinence protection and goes to bed fully dressed so there consequently are lots of clothes to wash. How can she be persuaded to wear proper nightwear which would be easier for her to manage if she needs to get to the toilet urgently. We have a nightlight and the bathroom door is left open so she can see where to go. Mum has elasticated trouser so they are easy to pull down. When there's an accident she takes the sheets off the bed and hides them, the same with any dirty underwear. We are having a lot of trouble getting her to shower and change her clothes anyway. I don't understand how she is unable to realise that she needs to keep clean as when a passenger in the car she shouts instructions to me when the traffic lights change!
This cruel illness has robbed us of a wonderful mum and wife.

Have u tried the bedwetting sheets used for children? My mum wears incontinence pants at bed time but occasionally she wets the bed. The sheets are great, the ones i use have sticky tabs on them so they stay put on the mattress. Hope that helps? X

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
There are sheets that can go over the bottom sheet that is absorbent, I got my dad's from age uk. They come in a few colours. That really helps.
Would she accept a carer coming round and getting her ready for bed? As it would be a new thing they could pop her in a nighty or pj's with a fresh pair of pants (these pants would be pully ups)
Worth a go?? Sometimes people refuse to cooperate with family but will do everything for someone out of the home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77