Reborn dolls

Mouse2014

Mar 9, 2014
My Mum had dementia and in her earlier years worked with children and was a very caring , loving, nurturing lady.

I was given a second hand ‘reborn’ doll which it was suggested my Mum would like.

Can I just say, it was the most magical thing, Mum would sit with this baby doll, touching it’s face, rocking the baby and singing to it.. the other residents all wanted to hold the baby and before long the6 were having shots each at holding the doll.

In fact on one occasion, a resident shouted to another.. ‘You’re not holding the baby properly, you’ll hurt his back!!’

I’m not sure how practical it would be in every case but perhaps buying a baby doll for your relative might enrich their daily life and make them feel more maternal..

It was wonderful for my Mum who loved dressing the baby every day

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My husband has always loved children and yesterday we spent the day with my sister and her 1yr old grandson. My husband loved it. When we were walking about, OH in his wheelchair, little one in his buggy, we were looking around some things and OH said 'you go, I'll look after him'. (I kept my eye on them both). Husband hasn't smiled like that for ages, it was lovely to see.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have heard how therapeutic baby dolls can be for some people with dementia. It`s always worth a try.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I have seen this with another resident in my mother's care home who was very depressed but gets a lot of comfort from her "baby". My Mum also gets a lot of enjoyment form "inter-age" activities, where a a local nursery visits her care home and the children and residents interact with each other.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Someone gave my husband a small teddy bear about four years ago. I never see him holding it but the first night he had it, he took it to bed with him and still does every night. It is 'just there' and for him maybe that is enough.

Mouse2014

Mar 9, 2014
Mum always took 2 toy rabbits to bed,, her baby doll was left on her chair to sleep. X if they get comfort from a cuddly toy, that’s good enough I think as long as they get some comfort,,, xxx

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
Wow, I was having a look at them on the net. Sounds great for my mother too. The only problems I can see would be, did your mum ever worry that it wasn't eating or drinking? Do they have eyes that open and close? Has your mother ever wondered if it had died when it didn't respond in a way she thought it should?

Mandy76

Jul 25, 2019
I got my mother a robotic "companion cat" that miaows and moves. She loves it and is sits beside her all day. She knows it's not real, but she chats away to it and sits it on her knee.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
One of the ladies in Mummy's CH dementia unit has a "baby" that she is always holding, feeding, talking to. I think they can give a lot of comfort. Also another resident's family bring in a chihuahua who is fortunately very calm and interacts well with the residents. When Mummy was in the ealry stages of dementia, she liked to watch other people's children and the home does have inter-age activities.

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
Mum has a ‘baby’ that we bought her as it was suggested it might settle her. At the time she was quite agitated and it was hard to see her like that. Max, as that’s what we called him, was an instant hit and she was quite happy to sit and cuddle him for hours.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother has a wide selection of cuddly toys in her room, some of which are hers but others are 'stolen'! She takes one down to the lounge and sits cuddling it and talking to it. It was very comforting for her when she was in hospital - I chose one and took it in for her. She was never really interested in babies but loves animals. Cuddly toys seem very popular in the CH, there are always a few ladies with a cuddly in the lounge - dogs in particular are popular.