1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. Mouse2014

Mouse2014 Registered User

Mar 9, 2014
    My Mum had dementia and in her earlier years worked with children and was a very caring , loving, nurturing lady.

I was given a second hand ‘reborn’ doll which it was suggested my Mum would like.

Can I just say, it was the most magical thing, Mum would sit with this baby doll, touching it’s face, rocking the baby and singing to it.. the other residents all wanted to hold the baby and before long the6 were having shots each at holding the doll.

In fact on one occasion, a resident shouted to another.. ‘You’re not holding the baby properly, you’ll hurt his back!!’

I’m not sure how practical it would be in every case but perhaps buying a baby doll for your relative might enrich their daily life and make them feel more maternal..

It was wonderful for my Mum who loved dressing the baby every day

2. RosettaT

RosettaT Registered User

Sep 9, 2018
    Female
    Mid Lincs
    My husband has always loved children and yesterday we spent the day with my sister and her 1yr old grandson. My husband loved it. When we were walking about, OH in his wheelchair, little one in his buggy, we were looking around some things and OH said 'you go, I'll look after him'. (I kept my eye on them both). Husband hasn't smiled like that for ages, it was lovely to see.

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I have heard how therapeutic baby dolls can be for some people with dementia. It`s always worth a try.

4. Helly68

Helly68 Registered User

Mar 12, 2018
    I have seen this with another resident in my mother's care home who was very depressed but gets a lot of comfort from her "baby". My Mum also gets a lot of enjoyment form "inter-age" activities, where a a local nursery visits her care home and the children and residents interact with each other.

5. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

Someone gave my husband a small teddy bear about four years ago. I never see him holding it but the first night he had it, he took it to bed with him and still does every night. It is 'just there' and for him maybe that is enough.

6. Mouse2014

Mouse2014 Registered User

Mar 9, 2014
    Mum always took 2 toy rabbits to bed,, her baby doll was left on her chair to sleep. X if they get comfort from a cuddly toy, that’s good enough I think as long as they get some comfort,,, xxx