reassurance or worry?

SteveS

Jun 20, 2007
Altrincham, cheshire
We visited a few homes yesterday. After approaching the local authority homes we were really reassured of the quality of care that was to be given. On the flip side - they were all full!

So, onto the private homes that Dads social worker put (pushed) us on to - the ones we saw were good, but there was talk of money - something that's in short supply as far as Mum and Dad are concerned. And an assessment - The SW wanted to get mums finances assessed and she has given them the relavent forms and bank statements etc.

The hospital is pushing for discharge now, and we are trying to get this assessment through, although there is talk of going out of area....Mum can't travel for more than half an hour and that limits any distance realistically.

There is little support from the SW and the Hospital in any area of discharge, we are not given information on what we can expect and to be honest have had to take measures to take over and do it ourselves!

although we can't see the authority discharging Dad without somewhere to go, it reall seems that we're set adrift.

We asked for a consultants meeting a way back - and had a meeting with the SW who was a little agressive and unreactive innher promises - the meeting never happened which really touches on "he's on his way through the door what do you want us to say?"

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Steve

This is a massive decision, which you clearly have to take your time over, and find the absolute right home for dad.

Don’t be pushed into accepting a place just because there is one, if its not suitable for dad, and too far for mum to travel, then don’t accept it. With luck dad will be living in the home for many years to come, it is so important to get it right.

Bottom line is, they cannot discharge dad out into the street.

Put dad’s name down on the waiting list for each home that you would really like. It is surprising how suddenly a place can become available (sadly it’s the nature of the beast). They may also tell you there is a long waiting list, we had the same problem, but as it turned out, a place did become available, the staff rang all the people on the list before mum, and they were already fixed up, so bingo, mum had the place.

If you find a suitable care home, get all the details, and let the Social Worker sort out the funding, they will try go wriggle out of it, but they do have the budgets. Be aware though of top ups requested by the Nursing Home, make sure your mum isn't liable for these.

If you still want an appointment with the Consultant, then I would not go via the Social Worker, simply telephone the Consultants secretary, and make an appointment via that route.

Best wishes, and please keep in touch.

Cate

SteveS

Jun 20, 2007
Altrincham, cheshire
thanks Cate, there's some really good tips here.

On the top up fees, does anyone have experience on this, as we obviously are in the dark.

Mum doesn't have much money, and there's Dad's work pension, but nothing to speak of else....

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Steve

I'm not 100% sure cos poor mum is 100% self funding, we had to sell her home.

But I think if the home is say £100 per week (in my dreams:eek: ) and the local authority will pay £90, then you have to find the extra £10. I'm sure if I have that wrong, then somebody will be around soon to put us right.

Best wishes

Cate

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
What Cate said. The possible wrinkle that you need to consider that when you're talking about top up fees, you're talking about top-up fees to bring the payment up to the LA rate, which may not be the advertised rate. For example my mother's nursing home charges £450 a week to LA clients and £600 to self-funders. Now if the LA only was willing to pay £425 someone would need to pay the additional £25 as a top up fee, not the £175 to take it to the self-funding rate.