Reassesment and Continuing care - now what !

Maya

Jul 23, 2009
I live in purgatory
My mother was allowed continuing care funding after being reassessed but was not sure what that means for my mum as she was about to be discharged home.

Does anyone have a person they are caring for at home with Continuing care funding ?

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi Maya,

I haven't any personal experience of being allowed home with continuing care funding but I would think that it means that whatever care your mother needs, should now be paid for in full by the local Health Authority or Mental Health Authority.

Has she had a care plan made? Again I would think that the help will be very much related to a care plan which outlines the intensive care she needs. You may have to work with a Social Worker to arrange getting the carers in place but they should be fully paid for by these authorities and not from you or your mother's monies.

Sorry I can't be of much further help but I'm sure someone here will have had a similar experience.

Good luck with the care of mum, I know how hard it all is to cope with.

xxTinaT

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Vonny, I think, helped to get continuing care for her Mother at home. Hopefully she can give you some pointers in the morning.

JC100

Sep 9, 2009
Berkshire
Continuing Healthcare funding at home

If 100% NHS Continuing Healthcare funding was agreed for your Mum this means that the local PCT will fund the care in any setting (as long as it's safe to do so). So presumably in your Mum's case the local PCT will be fully funding an agreed home care package.
NHS Continuing Healthcare funding can also be agreed as part of a shared-care package - with the costs being shared between the NHS (PCT) and Social Services. In these cases the part of the funding that is provided by Social Services will be subject to a financial assessment and the 'client' may have to make a contribution to that part of the funding.
Hope this helps.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Maya,

Jennifer is correct and we were awarded NHS continuing care for my mum at home. The care package put in place was for 2 carers to visit mum 3 times a day to change her pads, re-position her to prevent further sores and attend to her personal care.

It was the SW who put the package in place and recommended the amount of care required. We actually dispensed with a couple of the sessions as we could manage ourselves on the evening shift. We were very pleased with the arrangements and they worked well. Bills were sent to the Continuing Care team rather than to us so I have no experience of Direct Payments.

If you have an specific questions Maya, please feel free to PM me.

Vonny xx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan