Really need advice with incontinence issues

andypandy

Jun 28, 2015
Hi everyone, I could really do with some advice with mums incontinence. Is there anything we should be doing for her with regard to this.

I've said this in other posts her TIA's are making this awful disease progress so fast it's frightening, this week had been the incontinence, we've had issues for a few weeks but it's been at night when she is at her worst but this week especially the last couple days she's needed changing a few times a day and today it's been every time I've come to check on her (bedding currently in the dryer even as we speak). Is there anything we can do for her, she has congestive heart failure so she has to be on water tablets otherwise her lungs will fill up with fluid and she'l basically drown so we can't stop the water tablets, is there anything at all we can do, should she see the GP or is this 'one of those things' ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think she should definitely see her GP and i would think that he/ she will refer your mum to the continence clinic or nurse. I know men are different (!) but my husband was sent for a bladder scan and put on some medication. I can't say it has made a lot of difference but I think it's best to check. Apart from anything else the continence clinic/nurse should be able to provide your mum with appropriate continence products - pads or whatever is suitable.

Just a thought but if this is very recent I wonder if your mum has been checked for a urine infection.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And if your mum is already wearing pads, make sure they are the right size, and that they are fastened tight enough. They shouldn't leak. If she's fully incontinent, she may need the ones that fasten (like disposable nappies) rather than the slips. If she's wearing the slips, the special very stretchy "knit" pants really do help keep them firmly in place, rather than using ordinary pants.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
And if your mum is already wearing pads, make sure they are the right size, and that they are fastened tight enough. They shouldn't leak. If she's fully incontinent, she may need the ones that fasten (like disposable nappies) rather than the slips. If she's wearing the slips, the special very stretchy "knit" pants really do help keep them firmly in place, rather than using ordinary pants.

Exactly! You should get help with all of that from the continence service. Mind you even the maxi fastening ones leak with my OH!

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
At least one community Incontinence Service provides free pads in a range of absorbencies - regular, super, etc.

Rodelinda

Jun 15, 2015
Suffolk
Hiya

All good advice. But just one little warning - if she's anything like my Mum, she saw the continence nurse last week and nodded and agreed with everything and then promptly forgot it all so you will probably need to sit in with them. She can't remember how to use the self-adhesive pads from one night to the next and last night managed to stick it on upside down (ie to her!). I find the absorbent pads for the bed useful as well. Good luck It's stressful for both of you

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Our continence service only supply inadequate pads - even the night-time pads are useless. I know of two makes that claim around 3 litres absorbency and they do work well if properly fitted and tweaked. Sadly, the agency carers we currently have (not for much longer) often aren't able to do this and there are regular leaks after quite a short time.

I buy Tena maxi comfort and am also trying ID (used to be Euron) expert form maxi which seem to be similarly effective.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds

Hi all

We ( the carers and myself) have finally got mum to wear pads most of the time, but she still both soils and wets ordinary pants. Reading this thread, I wonder whether the pads are too loose / don't fit her properly. Lady A, you mention stretchy pants. Are these the ones you mean?

http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/continence-care/stretch-pants/panty-tights-xxl-waist-140-180cms

Any advice gratefully received..my washing machine is working overtime!

Lindy xx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Those look similar to the pants we use. Obviously it's important to get the right size.

I think a lot of the confusion around pads is due to the fact that the pads generally available in supermarkets and pharmacies are often those intended for light leakages. These may be of use at a very early stage but are no use at all when someone is involuntarily emptying their bladder.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thank you Stanley :)

We have just got 3 months' supply of pads from the district nurse so I think we may be stuck with them for a while. However, she did give them on the basis that mum was partially incontinent, whereas, as you say, she often is completely so.

I'll request a reassessment before the next delivery is due ...

Thanks again.

Lindy x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes, those are similar to the ones we got here, they look a bit lighter though. Can't remember what the ones I got for William are called. Same idea though. Very stretchy. They do lose their stretch after being through the washing machine several times though - so do need replacing after a couple of months. I used to get about 10 at a time.

I actually used that website a lot when William was at home - I found them great, and if you phone them, their reps are very helpful and know the stock well I found. They have an amazing selection of stuff that can make life easier!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Stanley, there is now a new Tena ultima which I think is slightly more absorbent than the maxi, but even that doesn't guarantee there won't be a leakage in the night. I am also going to try the Molisoft ones (I think you recommended them to me?). Euron/ID Expert were not good enough for Mum either. The continence service we have now supplies Attends and I have got them to give me the most absorbent ones, Active 10s - I hate to say it, but even these leak.

I buy the Lille bed pads too but still Mum has a wet nightie and sheet. I soak these in Napisan to dilute the urine and disinfect them, then put them in the machine on a high cotton setting.

Sorry if this is too much information for the original poster! It might not come to that for a long while.....

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
For the bed, I got the washable bed pads from the Complete Care shop (the link is the same as above - http://www.completecareshop.co.uk ) and put them on top of the sheet, directly under William. They come in a double bed size, but I got the single size, and put it lengthwise under him, with one flap under his pillow and the absorbant bit from about the end of his ribcage down. That worked really well. I also got washable chair pads from them, for his armchair. They can be boil washed.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Lady A, are the washable bed pads called Kylie sheets? Are they heavy and do they have a plasticky feel or make the person sweaty? I was told not to get them as Mum has an air flow mattress and nothing is supposed to be put on top, not even the disposable ones. Well, Mum has pillows to support her so she has quite a lot of extra weight on her bed anyway and one nurse did say that Mum's comfort was paramount. She doesn't get pressure sores now that she is regularly turned and is eating better, so the pressure relieving mattress must be working. I wonder if I should get the washable bed pads.....

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I have got the washable (Kylie) bed pads which I find great. Not sure, nita, whether they should go on a pressure care mattress.....guess that's a question for the nurse?

Re the Napisan - does it bleach colours out at all? We have a real problem with soiled clothing as well as underwear. I've talked to mum's carer about how this happens, and she says that recently, when she helps mum in the bathroom, she has only to begin removing the pad / pants, and mum will suddenly empty her bowels as well as bladder. The result tends to get everywhere :( Could I ask the carer to soak mum's outerwear in Napisan do you think? She currently leaves it soaking, but just in water. I pick up laundry for washing every afternoon.

By the way, I can't think of anywhere else I could ask such questions! :cool:

Many thanks

Lindy x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Lady A, are the washable bed pads called Kylie sheets? Are they heavy and do they have a plasticky feel or make the person sweaty? I was told not to get them as Mum has an air flow mattress and nothing is supposed to be put on top, not even the disposable ones. Well, Mum has pillows to support her so she has quite a lot of extra weight on her bed anyway and one nurse did say that Mum's comfort was paramount. She doesn't get pressure sores now that she is regularly turned and is eating better, so the pressure relieving mattress must be working. I wonder if I should get the washable bed pads.....
It wasn't the Kylie brand - they are much more expensive. It was this type I think, although the ones I had were white: http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/continence-care/washable-bed-pads/ Not a bit plastic-y. There's a sort of nylon looking back on them and then what looks like quilted layers of cotton topped with a layer of some other sort of fabric. They didn't seem like they would be at all hot or sticky, and didn't stay wet. They seemed able to absorb a good deal - especially as it was just leaks from William's pad.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I've never used Napisan. Often if things are not too wet I'll just wash them at 40. Sometimes I'll soak them first. They never smell. Poo is a different matter of course.

Thanks for the info re Tena ultima nita - I'll look at them, though I have just bought 4 packs of the maxi.

When I recommended Molisoft I think we were at an earlier stage nita. These are what the Council supply and they're no good to us now except for short periods.

I have had far more problems since I've had to put the pads and pants on while Sue is lying down. Some of the carers have the same problem too. You have to tweak a lot and all your good work can be undone if the wearer has a restless night - the 'kylies' which carers use as a name for any bedpads (ours are actually made by Attends) also move. I might investigate ones that tuck in but I find sheets wash and dry well! One tip I got from the most efficient carer was to push the mattress down as you pull up the pants - easier said than done.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I've never used Napisan..
Actually, I never used Napisan either - it just makes laundry take longer. What I did was put Zoflora disinfectant in the fabric softener compartment of the washing machine, (slightly diluting it first, capful of zoflora to about half a cup of water). With the washable bedpads, you can't use fabric softener, or they won't absorb urine - just a warning! But the zoflora in the wash not only disinfects everything but also smells a lot nicer than ordinary disinfectant! If stuff is stained, I would put about a cupful of washing soda crystals in the machine along with the usual washing powder.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I've never used Napisan. Often if things are not too wet I'll just wash them at 40. Sometimes I'll soak them first. They never smell. Poo is a different matter of course.

Thanks for the info re Tena ultima nita - I'll look at them, though I have just bought 4 packs of the maxi.

When I recommended Molisoft I think we were at an earlier stage nita. These are what the Council supply and they're no good to us now except for short periods.

I have had far more problems since I've had to put the pads and pants on while Sue is lying down. Some of the carers have the same problem too. You have to tweak a lot and all your good work can be undone if the wearer has a restless night - the 'kylies' which carers use as a name for any bedpads (ours are actually made by Attends) also move. I might investigate ones that tuck in but I find sheets wash and dry well! One tip I got from the most efficient carer was to push the mattress down as you pull up the pants - easier said than done.

Even worse if you're trying to get them on an 18st man! We use pull ups for day and then put largest size pads we can get under him-there's no point trying to use pants because they leak no matter what you do. It's then less stressful to clean up when necessary.