REALLY IMPORTANT - this is the beginning of the end for Attendance Allowance

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Could everyone sign this campaign letter to try to prevent the Government transferring the responsibility for Attendance Allowance to local councils – this will mean that older people will be unable to decide how to spend the money on the things they need most, for many it will make the difference between being able to live at home or having to go into a care home and I believe it will signal the end of the allowance. Once again older people are the target of money saving cuts – it doesn't matter which government is in power, older people are considered a soft target. This time they are doing it in a two step process because you can be sure that cash strapped local authorities will snatch away this money as soon as they can and absorb it into other budgets. There are only a few days left to sign so please could you do this today.

https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/ea-a...ampaign.id=55006&ea.tracking.id=Signourletter

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Could everyone sign this campaign letter to try to prevent the Government transferring the responsibility for Attendance Allowance to local councils – this will mean that older people will be unable to decide how to spend the money on the things they need most, for many it will make the difference between being able to live at home or having to go into a care home and I believe it will signal the end of the allowance. Once again older people are the target of money saving cuts – it doesn't matter which government is in power, older people are considered a soft target. This time they are doing it in a two step process because you can be sure that cash strapped local authorities will snatch away this money as soon as they can and absorb it into other budgets. There are only a few days left to sign so please could you do this today.

https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/ea-a...ampaign.id=55006&ea.tracking.id=Signourletter

I've signed - what is proposed is removing independence and element of choice from vulnerable older people. Would they do this for younger people? - is almost discrimination on grounds of age. I am surprised that this government proposal hasn't received a higher profile in the press - will enquire from our local CAB tomorrow to see if they know about it. Thanks.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's also important as it places Carers Allowance at risk which you can only get if the person you care for is on Attendance Allowance.

John4Sue

Account Closed
Aug 15, 2016
Central Brittany France
It's also important as it places Carers Allowance at risk which you can only get if the person you care for is on Attendance Allowance.

Hey I might be idiot where some things are concerned but ex pats should look close at this!
I am applying for this at moment for Sue!
Thanks who ever started thread!
I gotta get on top of this!
SERIOUS IMPLICATIONS FOR ALL HERE!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I am applying for this at moment for Sue!"

Carers's allowance is paid to you, one condition is that Sue has to be in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

Have you checked all the rules? There were several EU directives around 2008-9.

Lots of problems about whether you only wanted to maintain a benefit or apply for a new one, if applying for a new UK one there was discussion about whether UK residency was required at the time of application.

Do you know this site
https://www.angloinfo.com/france ?
If you dig and delve enough you should get to discussions about payment and eligibility for UK benefits.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011

Didn't think of that Beate, thank you. I've shared this with all my local organisations and day centres as it will significantly impact all the vol orgs

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I agree that AA should come from central government pot to minimise postcode differences.However I think it is generally accepted that older people have in fact been rather well protected from austerity cuts.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
It was in the Autumn statement.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that explains it. It's been rumbling for over a year now and was a dead cert for an attack but the way that they are doing it is very underhand. So many people will think that it doesn't matter to them who pays it - central gov or LA but it actually makes a huge difference because the LAs will just absorb it with no explanation and it probs won't even stay in the 'older persons' budgets - it will just go to adults and he who screams loudest which is why we need to scream from the rooftops now.

The reality is that they are creating a massive rod for their own back because people will be unable to afford day centres, singing for the brain, lunch clubs and all the other activities that maintain independence and the care home bill will increase accordingly. Yet another short sighted, red tape, idiotic decision - lets scupper it now

Last edited:

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Really.Benefits for people of working age have been frozen,state pension's increased by half the rate of inflation.Dramatic cuts to tax credits.The bedroom tax,pensioners are exempt.Child benefit is means tested.Winter fuel allowance,free TV licences paid to all irrespective of income.Just a few facts.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I don't know enough about the details to know whether the elderly have so far been protected from austerity cuts. What I do know is that social care has been subject to massive cuts. This affects mental health across the board. You can't compare a healthy, well-off pensioner, who is able to claim certain benefits due to their age, to those who are drastically affected by social care policies, and extrapolate that to make an assumption that everybody of a certain age is in the same position.

My mum (in her 80s) only claimed a 'social benefit' by way of a DWP pension, which is a pittance by the way. Luckily for her she also has an occupational pension. These two pensions almost cover the funding for her care home. She received the free BBC licence and the fuel allowance, but these are no longer applicable because she's in a care home. She trained in an occupation when she left school, and worked constantly until she retired and, as such, was always paying tax. Even on her pension she pays tax. I think if she was capable of understanding she'd either laugh or cry at the idea that she's been 'protected' from government cuts.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"She received the free BBC licence and the fuel allowance, but these are no longer applicable because she's in a care home."

She is eligible for the free TV licence she is also eligible for the fuel allowance at half rate provided that she is not receiving any of Pension Credit, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife