Reality check required!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Please don't get me wrong, i love TP & those that post on here.
BUT
we need a reality check about the latest health pandemic.

What's really concerning me is how many people are cancelling carers or considering it.

Firstly it's easy to forget how we got to having carers. That on your knees feeling & total desperation that you could no longer continue ...

Then the form filling & assessments ...

How long it took for carers to be arranged, the ongoing assessments until care packages were put in place.....

Cancelling carers to protect your loved one is a complex decision & one which will have a bigger impact & consequences than first thought of.

Cost of covering care packages that carers don't attend ... is that an affordable option?
If care is funded through Social services that's not an option, cancelling care means you will effectively mean starting all over again!
Cancelling care means that when care package is required again that the process starts from the beginning. Assessments etc. Will the care agency still have availability as we all have experienced how difficult it was getting that help in the first place.

There are going to be consequences of any decision made in respect to care.

Personally i am not prepared to remove carers, the guidelines given out to agencies is the same as the NHS.
Care Agencies have access to clinical & medical grade protective wear, (i could not afford to supply that neither the ability to purchase it!)

Health issues outside of this pandemic still affect those that care, so i asked myself what happens if the family carer becomes incapacitated? Is there a support system of family in place able to provide the care required?
if that was in place then why was an outside care package required in the first place?

.....so you get my train of thought.

My last thought on this subject ( at the moment!) each person will have to make their own decisions with their own personal reasons for them. We will also have to live with the consequences of those decisions.

For that & many other reasons i won't be cancelling Mums care package.
The positive outweighs the negative

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Please don't get me wrong, i love TP & those that post on here.
BUT
we need a reality check about the latest health pandemic.

What's really concerning me is how many people are cancelling carers or considering it.

Firstly it's easy to forget how we got to having carers. That on your knees feeling & total desperation that you could no longer continue ...

Then the form filling & assessments ...

How long it took for carers to be arranged, the ongoing assessments until care packages were put in place.....

Cancelling carers to protect your loved one is a complex decision & one which will have a bigger impact & consequences than first thought of.

Cost of covering care packages that carers don't attend ... is that an affordable option?
If care is funded through Social services that's not an option, cancelling care means you will effectively mean starting all over again!
Cancelling care means that when care package is required again that the process starts from the beginning. Assessments etc. Will the care agency still have availability as we all have experienced how difficult it was getting that help in the first place.

There are going to be consequences of any decision made in respect to care.

Personally i am not prepared to remove carers, the guidelines given out to agencies is the same as the NHS.
Care Agencies have access to clinical & medical grade protective wear, (i could not afford to supply that neither the ability to purchase it!)

Health issues outside of this pandemic still affect those that care, so i asked myself what happens if the family carer becomes incapacitated? Is there a support system of family in place able to provide the care required?
if that was in place then why was an outside care package required in the first place?

.....so you get my train of thought.

My last thought on this subject ( at the moment!) each person will have to make their own decisions with their own personal reasons for them. We will also have to live with the consequences of those decisions.

For that & many other reasons i won't be cancelling Mums care package.
The positive outweighs the negative
I’m happy (reasonably) to still have dads carers. But as witnessed over the last few days I think it could be the other way around..

Apparently, according to PH the carers shouldn’t have left me in the lurch without waiting for a result from PH(either negative or positive). But they didn’t do that. To be honest I have no faith in them now..Even though they are back tomorrow.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I agree @DesperateofDevon I think cancelling carers at this stage is a knee jerk reaction and any carers that become unwell should be removing themselves anyway and going into isolation.

Getting carers is a lengthy process and as care companies become busier with clients it is going to get harder to reinstate care packages if cancelled.

The other side to this coin is that things haven't peaked yet, and when they do I think people will find the carer visits both reassuring and a comfort to know help is at hand and there is someone who can get help or raise concerns if home carers become unwell or are struggling and need some support in problem solving