Realisation

patchworkamber

Jan 6, 2014
south east wales
We had a routine visit from the memory clinic nurse today. My OH is 20 months post diagnosis of vascular dementia following a stroke. His condition has been deteriorating and his ability to converse or express his needs pretty poor. I carry on talking to him about general stuff going on but only get a nod in reply. Well, the nurse endeavoured to complete the memory test with him. It was so awful at one point I had to try not to laugh when he kept saying 'tuesday' to most of the questions - and its Wednesday anyway! He scored zero but it made me realise how little he can process of the spoken word. I feel more compassionate somehow at how scary his world must be and will try to hang on to this when we get into an 'impasse' when he doesn't understand my simple instruction to have a pee!

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
So sorry that you are facing this. Its so hard. He is lucky to have you as you are being so understanding. I hope you get some help and support.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I know what you mean about making you laugh although these days it's more likely to make me cry.
A few years ago when my late mother was being assessed it got to the questions about my dad who died about 20 years ago, all going fine until she was asked what his name was, she though for a moment then turned round and said to me "Kevin do you remember what your dad's name was", when I said "the same as mine".
Part of me wanted to laugh part of me wanted to cry, it made me face up to how bad she really was.
K

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Yes, I too know the conflicting feelings of sorrow and laughter at Memory Tests...

Mum (with AD) and Dad (possible VasDEM) are living in their home (of 40 years) with a 24 hour live in carer and additional hourly carers.

It was Dad's turn for the memory test, which we didn't know that the consultant was going to do. Mum was also in the same room.

I was saddened and dismayed at how poorly Dad did. The consultant eventually asked Dad the Year (2001); Month (January); Day (Friday) - all wrong. Finally he asked Dad what town he lived in, and kept rephrasing it different ways; even going on to give him multiple choice, but still Dad couldn't answer...

Then suddenly Mum (bless her) pipes up with "But of course, we don't live here"

Even the poor consultant had trouble with that one :confused:

Elizabeth

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I've noticed a big deterioration with my husband understanding instructions. It's no good giving him more than one thing to do at a time now as he doesn't seem able to process a string of things now.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point