Reading difficulties

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I find that as time goes on and my Alzheimer's progresses, I find it more and more difficult to read postings without paragraphs. A long posting of continuous unbroken prose often defeats me. This is so sad, as there are many postings that contain both helpful information and support.

I hesitate to make a big issue of this as so many are outpourings of emotion. I do wish though that paragraphs would be more widely used, not just for myself, but carers who may have visual problems associated with ageing (or otherwise.)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I agree.

In my case not Alzheimer's, it's dyslexia.
I just ignore posts that get too jumbled up.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That is a really good point @Dunroamin , and I put my hands up as being guilty.

Paragraphs that are too long are something my writing group have pointed out to me. I'll try to remember in future.

@nitram, both my husband and son are dyslexic, son severely so. Husband's dyslexia is quite mild, but even so he rarely read all of an email or text and therefore misses stuff.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm sure most people struggle with long paragraphs - it's easy to get lost.

For me, punctuation isn't about being correct, it's about making something easy to read, more understandable. I break all the rules and I don't care! I used to tell my children to read what they'd written out loud - if you find yourself pausing, stick a comma in...

(And yes, I do start sentences with And and But which would horrify my old English mistress. Too many dashes too, but who's counting? ? )

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’m afraid I’m guilty of being lazy with uppercase if iPad doesn’t do it for me (mostly it does) And I’m another one who uses punctuation like @Jaded'n'faded .

I find lack of paragraphs like wading thru treacle!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa