Read of the reality when I’m Sundowning

Status
Not open for further replies.

NannyT

Apr 1, 2014
Leicester England
Sundowning

Hi I am new to the forum and the reason I joined today is my husband has vascular dementia, and I wanted to know if anyone could tell me why it is that my husband is fairly lucid in the mornings (if awake) but completely away with the fairies in the afternoon, he is physically a very sick man so sometimes sleeps all day if he does he then wakes up confused, but I have never heard of sundowning but after reading your article it sounds just the same as Peter, can you tell me if this is recognised in England as I had never heard of it, His dementia has deteriorated rapidly in the last month but last night was the worse I think it's been, My Daughter who does all his banking bought him his pension in an envelope he said it wasn't his and put it on another table, so I put it away safe, he has woken this morning fairly lucid but very poorly in himself, and asked me where his money was when I told him I had put it away he asked what I was doing taking his money. life is getting difficult but if he has got sundowning would explain alot of why he drifts through what appears to be different stages of dementia. thanks for listening to me what a difference it makes being able to talk to people that understand

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi NannyT
Thank you taking interest in my article about Sundowning and I am very sorry to hear that you husband has deteriorated more rapidly which unfortunately is something that can happen with some people who have dementia, and YES Sundowning is a part of dementia that is recognised worldwide.
Although it’s called “Sundowning” It’s something that can have an effect on a person with dementia at various parts of the day not just as the sun sets although that seems to be the predominate part of the day, but the strange thing is that it can happen even if there’s no sunshine or even if our in a closed room and can’t see the sun, it’s also a part of the day that I know I need a lot more attention

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
As Sundowning is the topic in the Chat room today I thought that it might be of help if I add a comment and then re-posted the thread so that it bounces back to the front page as some viewers might like to read this before joining in the chat. All being well I will also be online to join in the chat as it will be rather appropriate since it will be 6pm out here in Indonesia and I will be very mush under the influence of the waning sun so my feeling at that very moment in time will be like words out of the horse mouth. So hope to talk to you all later;)
Barry

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
I suggest printing out what Barry has written so expertly. Then give it to your/ or your loved ones doctor. or if not sure this is what is going on file it at your home until you think it is the time to share it with family and doc. Great to keep repeating this, Barry, NOTHING is worse that I have experienced. Jaffy

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Hi Barry, thanks for reviving this thread as I am relatively new. I read your description with such interest, and horror at what you suffer. I also felt so much for Sumi, it sounds as if you care for each other so much, tell her a fellow carer sends her good wishes too. Xx

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thank you all for all the support you have been giving me through this very difficult problem of Sundowning;)

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
We have to thank you Barry for finding the time and energy to post and seeing your baking of bread and wonderful cakes is a joy.

Best wishes to you and Sumi.

Dogma

Nov 8, 2017
Barry,
What a valuable insight!
As a RN, I had no idea people who had dementia and suffered with "Sundowning" could let us in to see what you've shown us.
My hubby was recently diagnosed with vascular dementia.
I am now exploring from a personal view.
Thank you for giving us a glimpse behind the curtain.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's great that Barry's thread has helped you. Unfortunately, Barry passed away in December 2015, but it's good to see that his insight lives on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513