Read of the reality when I’m Sundowning

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
Dear Barry and Suni - your description of sundowning has helped me this morning. I struggled last night with mum, wondered what I would do if it happens again, I feel better equipped now to understand how mum is feeling. thank you so much x

Teri

Oct 17, 2012
Ontario Canada
Thank you Barry for your description of sun downing. You described me to a "T".
It's like my whole body suddenly ways a ton, my head is too heavy even for my neck to bear. My hearing shuts down, my eyes become heavy and my vision doubles and blurs, my head feels as though I am slightly drunk - dizzy, lightheaded, I must pull myself through a thick thick cloud to pay attention to anyone around me.

I am diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment at the moment, although the neuropsychiatrist first thought frontotemporal dementia...

I am having good luck with Ritalin if I am able to time it before I get down too far - then sleep is my only option.

I enjoy your posts Barry. Thank you!!!!

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Teri
Sorry that you have the same problem with Sundowning which has affected you very early in your condition but then that’s just goes to show how problems in the illness affect us all in different ways and at different points of the illness…
I wish you well and keep fighting it!

Limber

Aug 15, 2013
Barry, you are a treasure and an amazing fighter. Thank-you for this invaluable information. I will be referring my mother to your writing, in hopes for us to better understand my dad. He has early onset Alzheimer's :( You are inspiring! I love that you chose to walk during this "heavy" time. That is the fighter in you Very inspiring. Thank-you so much for sharing your deep personal journey with the hopes of helping others and creating awareness. You are a gem. So is Sumi ❤️

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Many thanks for your kind words 'Limber' and so sorry to hear your dad has to travel this pathway as well...
Best wishes to you
Barry

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Attention Limber

Hi Limber
I think your question has been mixed up with a post from Norrms! So this reply is now in two places

Don’t I just wish but unfortunately out here in Indonesia there’s no such thing although there is a branch of the Alzheimer’s society in the capital Jakarta but that’s as far as they go and to be very honest there not very active, and that’s why Talking Point has become so very important to me as at least here I get some support.

One of the other problems is that out here Dementia is associated with stigma and there are not many people (Apart from my very good doctor) who even understand what Alzheimer’s or any other type of dementia is, so my wife and I are very much in a go it alone situation.

There one or two other early onset website that you could try but obviously I can’t out of politeness mention any names or contacts her on TP so I will send you a private message.

Best wishes
Barry

cheryl k

Sep 9, 2012
Read of the reality when i'm sundowning

Barry

Thank you so much on your thread on sundowning. My Dad has alheimers and I witnessed him sundowning tonight at his assissted living apt. It must be terribly frightening experience. Your thread helped me understand what was happening.

Thanks again

Cheryl

Pookie

Dec 29, 2011
Being a newbie at this illness , I wondered what sundowning really was about.spunds awful,I thonk I'll skip tjat phase. Some hope
Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Your welcome (Ugly) and yes Sundowning is a terrible feeling, I wish I could skip this part of the illness!

velo70

Sep 20, 2012
Devon
Sundowning

What a strange world we live in. I realise from reading the posts above and others, my wife occasionally suffers sundowning. Yesterday we had visitors, and when they had gone (about 6.30pm), my wife said "I think I'm going to bed". It seemed quite a sudden decision, but when I tried to persuade her to watch tv with me, she was just not interested. She was unable to put her feelings into any sensible (to me) context. So I helped her to go to bed. This has happened a few times recently, and each time I try to ignite her enthusiasm with little success. So something else learned. In future, when she wishes to call it a day, I will go along with her. She described, 'feeling funny, floppy, tired and just not interested in anything. Just so out of her normal sweet nature. It must be like a wicked hangover without the pleasure along the way. I just love her so much, I wish....

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I’m pleased my post about Sundowning has helped you “velo70” as yes Sundowning can have an extreme affect on those of us who have any type of dementia, and in my opinion your doing the right thing by going along with her, I had to smile at your analogy when you wrote (Having a hangover without the pleasure along the way) that took me back to my youthful days! ;);)

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
Barry, my VERY worst "sundowner attack" I felt LURED to go out of the house and walk off into the sunset and never return! I was terrified. Thankfully I called dau. and talked with her till she arrived.
Is this what happens to some elderly when the wander off never to be seen alive again. I had forgotten that I cannot be left alone at that time of the day and sent hubby to the grocery. He obviously forgot too, which is happening more and more. The girls will call at that time of the day and Dad is not here. "He isn't supposed to leave you." Wellllll we both forget-someone needs to call and remind us!!!Ha. Jaffy

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
You make a very good point Jaffy, as at times I feel as though the setting sun as it descends over the horizon is pulling me towards it, and ‘YES’ maybe that’s why some sufferers end up going wandering which is a very scary thought although thank goodness as of yet I’ve not had that sort of urge within me! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.