Reached rock bottom

Bastan

Feb 10, 2011
Manchester
It is so hard to speak up when you really really dislike confrontation. I understand as probably lots of us do.

I always try to look for the best in people and you sound like you do to. The sister could have been having a bad day for all sorts of reasons, I don't doubt her job is a hard one. However, this does not excuse her attitude to you or the neglect of Brian. I think the least she could have offered was an apology for her reaction to you. Instead she has made a bad situation worse by telling a lie.

As if our lives are not hard enough. I am so sorry to hear you are being subjected to this but very impressed you are going to carry through with the complaint. It feels good when we stand up and be counted.

love Bastan

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Thank you all for your further posts, which are hugely appreciated.

This morning when I went in at 10.30 Brian was again very drowsy. I am assuming it is a side effect of the anti-psychotic which they started him on on Thursday evening.

I came home from the hospital to take the usual 'phone call from the Haematologist with Brian's blood results. You may recall that I handed in the form last Tuesday and have chased it up four or five times since saying that the "results appointment" was this morning. It appears that the blood test was done this morning, too ... The results are okay but not brilliant.

And then I sat down and wrote out my letter of formal complaint, one copy for PALS and another copy for the Director of Nursing at the hospital. I took them both to the PALS office at about 3 p.m. and waited while the lady there read through the letter, to find out if she needed any further information. I did indeed start off at the point where I had been asked to go in and do four hours on the trot and gave plenty of background information as well, including the prescribing of the anti-psychotic drug.

My complaint set out two points, (a) that Brian had had nothing to eat for at least eighteen and a half hours (from 5.30 on Thursday to when I left him at midday on Friday) and (b) the fact that he had been sitting in his chair for six hours and was found exhausted and collapsed forward with his head on the table in front of him.

The PALS lady said it was very clearly set out and she could not think of anything else that might be needed. She would take the letter to the Complaints Department and her colleague would hand the copy letter to the Director of Nursing tomorrow when she was meeting with him. She was extremely nice and sympathetic. She asked if she could help with anything else ....

I said there was another issue which I had not mentioned in the letter as although it had upset me, it was not related to Brian's care - and I told her all about the nurse's reaction to my touching her arm, her claim as to what had happened two days later and our quarrel on the ward.

She agreed about "not muddying the waters" as she put it. "I can SEE that you are not an aggressive person" she said. "The nurse at the very least needs more training in people skills." She also agreed that this sort of complaint about lack of care should go "right to the top" to keep the Director of Nursing "in touch".

I COULD lodge a complaint against the nurse's behaviour, I suppose, but that is not what it is all about really. In complaining about the lack of care shown to Brian, she will presumably be found to be responsible.

ALL of the nursing staff on the ward have been very polite and helpful to-day, one suggesting a "snack-pot" for Brian this evening (presumably some time before they settle him for the night) as he again missed his breakfast this morning and they want him to have three meals a day. I said I was very pleased that that suggestion had been made.

Sadly, when I got back to the hospital at 5.20 p.m., Brian was sitting there with a forked oxygen tube below his nose. One of the nurses came to explain that he had had another "episode" this afternoon, i.e. another seizure. She also went on to say that all of Brian's previous TIA's had probably been "silent seizures", in other words seizures without the tremors. Since our GP had diagnosed them as TIA's I was disinclined to agree, but in the end it makes little difference.

Having over the last month lost his ability to walk, stand, sit and remain upright, he is suddenly a lot further down the dementia road and the seizures are clearly running in parallel with these further losses.

On a happier note, he has twice to-day told me "I love you", quite out of the blue, once this morning and once this evening. It is some time since he told me (I am in tears now) and I had thought I might not hear it again. It has made to-day very very special.

My love to you all,
Nan XXX

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Oh Nan,

You really are amazing. Such determination, and such strength when you must be so exhausted.

No wonder he loves you. :)

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Dear Nan,
What a wonder you are and to be told that Brian loves and knows he loves you, well oh wonderful and it does put eveything else into perspective.
You are doing so very very well and I'm so impressed with how you are dealing with the hospital and staff, well done that woman!!!
Take good care of yourself, with kindest regards from Jo

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Oh Nan,
how poignant. I'm glad you managed to achieve so much. I think PALS will be able to support you while your complaint is being investigated so you don't feel so alone.
It must be difficult hearing Brian say he loves you in such difficult circumstances, but also very special.
I hope everything works out for you. You have been so brave taking on the hospital, and it will be so good for many other people if lessons are learned from this.
I hope you are looking after yourself in all this too.
Love and hugs,

Sue xxx

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
Oh Nan what a lovely ending to your post - to be told by Brian that he loves you must have been so special. Hope it makes up a little for all the unhappiness you have had. This really is a terrible disease it really affects the whole family and especially the immediate "carer", I do wish they could find a cure. You are very brave. Thinking of you - take care and hold tight to that "love you". Sox

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Nan, you've handled this so well.:)

I hope your complaint is taken seriously, it should be, but in the meantime, the staff know that they cannot neglect Brian.

It's wonderful that they are being friendly to you, and thinking of ways to help Brian.

And especially wonderful that Brian told you he loves you.

You should sleep well tonight!:)

Love,

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Nan:
I have read through your Thread tonight and am amazed at your strength in such an horrendous situation.

This is an eye opener for many of us, old and new to the forum. I am sure others will join me in expressing our full admiration for the way you are handling it.

But - please take care of yourself. Its no good to Brian, you or us if you overdo things.

Bastan

Feb 10, 2011
Manchester
Nan, so pleased you heard those three little words. Just what you needed.

I'd be on cloud nine if it were me!

love Bastan xx

ps well done with letters. x

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Nan, you've shown such courage and strength, I really admire you. I am so pleased that the day ended on a very special note. Hope you sleep well now xx

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Dear Nan, I just wanted to say well done, you have shown such great courage.

How wonderful that Brian was able to say such important words to you too, and when you needed to hear them so much.

Much love to you too xx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Thank you all for your further posts.

"In the meantime, the staff know that they cannot neglect Brian." Absolutely, Hazel, and that is how it should, of course, have been from the start.

I have just been to go and check in the kitchen diary that it was only yesterday afternoon that the nurse and I argued on the ward. It feels like several days ago. All of the nursing staff were noticeably nice to both Brian and me to-day. It would be too cynical of me to wonder, wouldn't it, if they were all on their best behaviour .... I will enjoy their "best behaviour" and hope that all of the other patients on the ward, and their visitors, may experience it as well.

A couple of little things this evening that also meant a great deal to me: you will recall that there were two visitors present when the argument occurred yesterday on the ward. They were both there again this evening. The male visitor asked where the tea trolley was and I explained to him where to find it. He brought a cup of tea for his father and one for me as well, while I was feeding Brian. He put it down for me and said "No sugar. Is that right?" "Oh, that's very kind of you" I said. "Actually I do take just a bit - I'll go and get some in a moment. But thank you for the tea." I waited for a couple of minutes while Brian finished his mouthful (he chews everything for a long time), popped one more spoonful into his mouth and turned back to my tea - and the lady visitor opposite had been out to the kitchen and come back with sugar for me and added it to my cup. I had walked into the ward this evening feeling slightly awkward after yesterday - but those two little acts of kindness made me feel so much better.

And now I must go to bed. Complaint lodged and Brian's "I love you", twice - what a day.

Love, Nan XXX

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Nan,

Reading about your life reminds me so much of the constant 'work' that was required in order to deal with everything that I was confronted with in terms of lack of good enough care. I know the enormous amount of energy it requires. You are doing an excellent job Nan.

Words like Brian saying "I love you" are such a wonderful boost:)

Sleep tight Nan - you deserve some rest.

Love

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Hello Nan,

Those three little words make everything worthwhile.
Your Brian loves you.
Well done for everything you have achieved
take care
xx

Bronwen

Jan 8, 2010
Bristol
Hello Nan..have just caught up with yesterday's posts. Well done for seeing through your letter of complaint..it shouldn't have to be done, you have enough to worry about..but so proud of you and I hope it makes them care for Brian in a much more respectful and caring manner.

That feeling of someone looking after YOU is needed so much and I am so pleased the visitors looked after you with your cup of tea...just a shame you haven't had that "looked after feeling" from day one there.

AND I am thrilled that Brian told you he loved you, twice...makes up for a lot doesn't it. Bless you both

love Bronwen x

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Thank you, littlegem and Bronwen. It's the little things that can give you a real lift, isn't it. And, of course, "I love you" is even more special.

May I again thank everyone who has posted to this thread. Every message has been re-read many times and your support is hugely appreciated.

Just off now to up-date my Hospital Blog.

My love and thanks, Nan XXX

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
How wonderful Nan that you heard those wonderful 3 little words from Brian

It makes you realise how much you miss them,
How wonderful that the visitors made you tea

A small thing but it restores your faith

I hope the change in the ward staffs behavior is permanen

I am in awe of you:D

thinking of you
GILL

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hallo, Gill, yes, yesterday was a memorable day in lots of ways.

But I cannot think of anyone less likely than me to be in awe of.:)

Being a non-confrontational sort of person, I suppose the written word has become my strong point. I am liable to falter and lose the strength of my convictions when face to face - which is why I so utterly surprised myself on whenever it was. Sunday afternoon. I am hoping it will now all be dealt with by someone else.

Love, Nan XXX

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Nan

Just caught up with your thread. Congratulations on standing your ground even in the face of confrontation. Also, well done for pursuing the grievance too.

You ARE someone to be admired and in these days of austerity measures etc. you are showing that there comes a time where you have to stand up for yourselves and insist on certain standards to which you are entitled. This is even more important for carers and relatives of people with dementia because they have no one else to do the talking for them and so you don't just make a stand for yourself you also make a stand for those who perhaps don't have anyone to speak up for them.

You are right in what you say about it often being easier to write things than speak them but writing is an important thing these days too because you can memorialise situations in writing that you can't do with conversations unless you tape them. People often forget this and then find further down the line that they have nothing to refer back to if situations deteriorate or repeat themselves. This is particularly true with government departments etc where it often suits their own means to fail to record a telephone conversation and what was said - for that reason everyone should follow these up with an email or a quick note.

So, well done you - you've now become a great crusador even if you thought you never had it in you!

Fiona
x