Re: Wow we got Dianosed today..

VonVee

Dec 15, 2014
Poole Dorset
On Wednesday I got a phone call from the memory clinic offering me/us an appointment due to a cancelation, we've been waiting 4 months so I took it, and at 10.30 this morning me and my mum were sitting in the memory clinic waiting to be called in, once we were called, we ended up in a doctors office with a very nice understanding and patient Doctor and about 35 minutes later we got a diagnosis, with no need for a brain scan, the doctor said it was pretty obvious! He's diagnosed my mother with altzimers dementia - moderate level, and has put her on T.Donepezil 5mg for 28 days initially then 10mg for 56 days, he was honest tho and said that it works in only 60% of people and comes with many side effects including sickness and hallucinations, but we'll give it a go and try it, he also said its more than likely that she won't be able to live on her own for much longer and it's likely she'll be in a care home by the end of this year.

To be honest I don't know whether I'm happy or sad, don't get me wrong I am glad she's now diagnosed because now they the authorities might start taking me seriously and put a proper care package in place, instead on blaming everything onto a urine infection which winds me up no end...

I've got to look after myself now too, as I went to the doctor the other day because I couldn't stop crying, and apparently I've had a mini episode break, and it's left me with slurring speech and a shaking twitching right hand which is uncontrollable and comes and goes. I'm ok, I haven't lost it yet or thrown myself out of a window, but the SW has told me to back off and leave control to them, and stay away for 2 to 3 weeks, but the thing is, who's going to take her to memory clinics and hospital visits and sort out the council tax and housing allowance, they or the carers can't do that, so it's left down to me, so overwhelmed or not, what can one do, you know.

Life goes on!

Vx

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
On Wednesday I got a phone call from the memory clinic offering me/us an appointment due to a cancelation, we've been waiting 4 months so I took it, and at 10.30 this morning me and my mum were sitting in the memory clinic waiting to be called in, once we were called, we ended up in a doctors office with a very nice understanding and patient Doctor and about 35 minutes later we got a diagnosis, with no need for a brain scan, the doctor said it was pretty obvious! He's diagnosed my mother with altzimers dementia - moderate level, and has put her on T.Donepezil 5mg for 28 days initially then 10mg for 56 days, he was honest tho and said that it works in only 60% of people and comes with many side effects including sickness and hallucinations, but we'll give it a go and try it, he also said its more than likely that she won't be able to live on her own for much longer and it's likely she'll be in a care home by the end of this year.

To be honest I don't know whether I'm happy or sad, don't get me wrong I am glad she's now diagnosed because now they the authorities might start taking me seriously and put a proper care package in place, instead on blaming everything onto a urine infection which winds me up no end...

I've got to look after myself now too, as I went to the doctor the other day because I couldn't stop crying, and apparently I've had a mini episode break, and it's left me with slurring speech and a shaking twitching right hand which is uncontrollable and comes and goes. I'm ok, I haven't lost it yet or thrown myself out of a window, but the SW has told me to back off and leave control to them, and stay away for 2 to 3 weeks, but the thing is, who's going to take her to memory clinics and hospital visits and sort out the council tax and housing allowance, they or the carers can't do that, so it's left down to me, so overwhelmed or not, what can one do, you know.

Life goes on!

Vx

Hello, have just read your comment and I sorry to learn of your mini episode and I do hope you get well soon. With regard to Council Tax, speak to your local authority, mine has a form to complete which you submit to them and they take her GP instructions on mental capacity. As you now have a diagnosis it may be that, if your Mum lives alone, she may be exempt from Council Tax due to lack of capacity.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Welcome to Talking Point although it is sad you need to be here.

I advise you take their advice and let them cover your Mother's needs but do insist that they keep you fully informed - then if you disagree with anything you can make that clear.

I feel it is important that POA is set up for your Mother if it has not already been done. If you are to be POA then make sure that there is a secondary person who can take your place if necessary. For instance with us I had POA for my husband but our daughters were 'secondary' POAs should anything have happened to me.

It is very sad but it sounds as if you have a good Mental Health team and SW to support you. Do not be afraid to ask for help.

I am sure others will be along soon to support you too.

VonVee

Dec 15, 2014
Poole Dorset
Hi beckyjan, yes I do have POA in place, well it's being done at the moment actually, sent the cheques off, so it's just waiting now for when it all comes in, and I have put down my husband as secondary person, as my kids are both under the age of 16, and my mil died of cancer in 2010, :( so there's no one else to use, as we have no trustworthy friends we cant use or nearby family, as they are all 100 miles away, so it's only me and my hubby atm, but when my daughter hits 16 or 18 and if mums still alive by then, I will put her down. I'm also going to be putting a will in place next week now she's diagnosed and it's all official.. Cruciall I say! Well I'm not sure whether we have a good MH team or SW in place, as its early days, but now she's diagnosed I hope to see some changes, and I will be on the phone on Monday to the SW, so we can get a proper care package in place, so to take a little bit of pressure of me... We can but hope, but I'm not expecting any miracles..

Welcome to Talking Point although it is sad you need to be here.

I advise you take their advice and let them cover your Mother's needs but do insist that they keep you fully informed - then if you disagree with anything you can make that clear.

I feel it is important that POA is set up for your Mother if it has not already been done. If you are to be POA then make sure that there is a secondary person who can take your place if necessary. For instance with us I had POA for my husband but our daughters were 'secondary' POAs should anything have happened to me.

I am sure others will be along soon to support you too.

VonVee

Dec 15, 2014
Poole Dorset
Hello, have just read your comment and I sorry to learn of your mini episode and I do hope you get well soon. With regard to Council Tax, speak to your local authority, mine has a form to complete which you submit to them and they take her GP instructions on mental capacity. As you now have a diagnosis it may be that, if your Mum lives alone, she may be exempt from Council Tax due to lack of capacity.

Thank you for that flake, I've only just learnt of attendance allowance yesterday from the memory clinic doctor actually, but I didn't know about the CT, and I only put the damn form in on Thursday would you believe, so I'll be ringing them on Monday to update them, so I hope it goes all ok.. Xx thanks for your advice tho.. Means a lot x