Re joining the forum after 7 years absence

petals

Jan 20, 2012
Its good to be back after such a long time. My last posting was in 2012 which was the most difficult year for me as my mother's dementia was progressing very fast with her death in November the same year. The forum provided me with the safest place to vent out my frustration and share the emotional pain that had taken over my life resulting in severe depression. I am glad to be back, refreshed and happy to share with members how I dealt with my loss. I have become an advocate for people living with dementia in my country, South Africa and this has helped me to deal with the loss of my mother to the illness. I now have a dementia charity in Durban which is raising awareness of dementia in our African community, screen for dementia and offer psycho education to family members. I manage most of the work from the UK with a small number of volunteers in Durban South Africa that we offer continuous training. This has been the best thing that I have done since my last posting as this project has contributed to my healing. Helping other family members who are going through this difficult journey and seeing the difference I have made in the lives is the best give I could ever receive. My mother's death was never in vain. I am sure she is smiling up there!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello petals and welcome back. I joined after you left, but Im sure I remember reading some of your posts.

I read your your post and thought Oh wow! That is just so inspirational. What a wonderful service to people in Durban

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I remember you @petals. Welcome back.

It`s wonderful to hear how a negative has been turned into a positive so well done to you. You are offering a fantastic service and I`m really pleased you thought to bring us up to date about your efforts.

petals

Jan 20, 2012
Thanks for welcoming me back. I never thought one could ever recover or get out of the dark hole I was in. When I offer therapy to family members or tell them of my experience, I truly believe that talking or sharing your stories with people who can listen to you dies help. Since I am in WngEngl, I manage the support group using WhatsApp. Again this idea of encouraging people to write to the WhatsApp support group. They are also encouraged to write to me as this is a cheaper way of using social media. The negative emotions, the pain and my loss has been turned into something much more positive. I don't know how I would have coped without support of the forum or helping families living with dementia. Please visit the website and see the work I am doing. The link www.bmf.community
Unfortunately I have not been able to reconcile with my siblings. The last time I met them was at my mother's funeral in 2012. I have accepted the situation and we have moved. I am at peace with myself and determined to help others.

petals

Jan 20, 2012
Thank you very much. There is a lot to do but it's worth. Raising awareness of dementia and reducing stigma is our priority. Older people in rirar areas are accused of being witches and in some cases they have been murdered when they have found them at night in other people's yards due to tjthe confusion.