Re:Any Advice please

Skipper

Jan 5, 2006
My Dad fell twice over the New Year and was admitted to hospital and he is still there.He is not very mobile and has breathing problems. My Mother was taken into a local care home as she has dementia(type not confirmed)and is still there.Myself and my sister found a home that was prepared to take them both and we have had a meeting with social services.This home is above the rate they pay and my parents do not have sufficient savings or a property to pay the extra.We are also not sure what band of home my Mum will need.It just seems wrong that my parents cannot end their days as comfortable as possible.My Dad fought in the last war and my Mum's first husband was a Navigator and was killed in ww2.Does anyone have any advice.

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
The only advice I can give is keep looking. I can never understand the finance side and it just seems stupid and unfair. A few months ago I was looking for somewhere for both Mum and Dad and know how difficult it is. Are any of your local council care homes suitable for your parents? I found it was easier to find two places in these than in the private sector. Sometimes the 'decor' isn't as fancy, but you have to look beyond that and look at the carers attitudes. The cost is usually lower too. Also keep pestering the social workers to help you find somewhere for them both together. It may be difficult if you have a hospital social worker for Dad and area worker for Mum, but they should be able to help you. I wouldn't rush to move your Dad from hospital if the care their is good, until you find a suitable place - because they want to free the hospital bed they can sometimes put in a bit more effort
Good luck , Zan

Skipper

Jan 5, 2006
Re:Any Advice

Thanks Zan...My Dad does have a different social worker than my Mum.The main thing we impressed on them is that they must be together as they have been married for 58 years and have never been apart.My Dad is 98 next week and my Mum is 89.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Skipper, just wanted to say how I feel for you trying to keep mum and dad together. It does you credit.
I know life is not good for you all now, but wonderful to read that your parents have had such a long time together. Bless you all, Connie