Ray and his many health problems

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
I'm so glad Ray enjoyed his lunch today. It would have made such a difference to you to know he had eaten.
Have a lovely dinner with your grandchildren. Try not to feel guilty for spending time with one more than the other. You are only one person :)
Will be thinking of you in the fast food restaurant, hope its the one with a play area and you can go on the slide :D
Nanak

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I'm pleased Ray had a better day and hope that you enjoy your time with your grandchildren, don't feel guilty you need time with them as well,

Jeany x

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
feeling guilty seems to come with the job

Jeany, I have taken a day off today, which basically meant I got to do some extra laundry, housework and gardening, which needed to be done but I still felt guilty about who would feed Ray his lunch, would someone take him to the entertainment, would he be sitting in his room staring at the door waiting for me to come etc. I don't know how to switch off the guilt!

Yes, it is nice to call in and see my grandchildren, even nicer if they called in to see me, or better still if they called in to see "Pa Ray". After all he is still their grandfather, albeit a not very active one now. And we can sit out in the courtyard or even the park if it is a fine day and they don't have to sit by his bedside as yet.

Okay, I'm dreaming again.

Sue.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Sue whatever we do the guilt sets in, I can't do anything without it, if things go well I feel guilty and if they go bad I feel guilty so its no win, I think you will know what I mean,
have a good day, Jeany x

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Ray was okay today, he was in the comfy chair so looks as if this is the way he will be when I go in now. He is not coughing but the past few days he has been mostly silent, listless and not really responding to questions any more. I was hoping the last lot of antibiotics would both clear up the cough and any residual infection that might have been causing the lethargy, doesn't seem to have worked that way.

Mostly Ray sits in his comfy chair, owl-eyed and not saying a word. While I am there he doesn't make any attempt to feed himself. I handed him his drink today, he attempted a few sips, not sucking strongly enough to get any as it is thickened and does not have the pouring effect thinner drinks do, and he handed it back to me. I always spoon it into his mouth as I know that way he gets what he needs. I do wonder what happens when I am not there. I am trying to think of all of this as the normal progression of the disease but that thought brings me no comfort.

Mum's nursing home is still in lock-down, seems they have several strains of the current gastro bug and there are still people going down with it. I worry about her but her life is close to the end anyway so I guess, warm clean and fed is all I expect her to be now.

Sue.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
rousable but sometimes unresponsive

The term that describes how Ray has been the last couple of days is rousable but sometimes unresponsive which means I can get him out of what seems like a semi-conscious state by tickling his feet, massaging his hands,calling his name over and over. When he does open his eyes I can feed him but if I speak to him I don't get any answers out of him.

The past couple of days it has taken me over an hour before he has fully regained consciousness. I can of course go to the RN for help to get oxygen on him but that is the only treatment now. The antibiotics just keep the chest infection at bay but do not keep it away. I am running out of ideas as to what is the right thing to do.

My children are saying: "I guess the end will come in the foreseeable future" and similar statements. I know there is a likelihood they are right and he is starting to fight a losing battle now. He was 70 last Saturday so no longer "too young" for what is happening to him.

Today when I finally got home after shopping etc I just sat for about an hour staring at nothing trying to clear my mind. It is hard not to focus on a black fog rolling towards us now. I am not depressed I do get through each day okay but it is a struggle not to give in to despair.

I know many have been through this so I am not the only one.

Sue.

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Dear Sue,

I have been reading back over the last few posts you have posted. This is so hard on you. I am fairly new here, so feel you won't know me, and certainly I don't want to burden you, but this is such a difficult stage. I really, really feel for you.

Food. This is an emotive issue and I know well how important it feels that a loved one has a good meal. I remember my kids as babies, if they were eating/drinking, then all was well. I am sure that Ray knows that every sip, every spoonful comes full of love and caring from you.

Rousable but unresponsive. You are managing so bravely. Really is there anything more we can do, just be there, massage, cajole, encourage, be physically present, talking calmly and lovingly. Ray is obviously very ill but your coming back again and again, wanting the absolute best for him, tending and nursing, loving and caring.... what could anyone want more? This is compassion and LOVE and we are fortunate in being able to just be there when the going is at its most discouraging. They say that people who are unconscious can hear, so with my Dad (he had had a stroke, no dementia), we talked to him, told him our most private thoughts, and even asked him questions! For the four days he was in a coma we continued to do the same. I never thought I would be able to do this, but I could, and I did. I will never regret this time: private, silent, just pure love and caring.

Of course some people rally, and others don't. This not knowing is so hard. I send you and your beloved Ray all my healing and best wishes. It is a time when time stands still. Hugs and compassion, Sue, I am with you in spirit, BE

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
bad week

Ray has had a bad week. the antibiotics are not dealing with the pneumonia. Today he could not swallow, thickened liquids or solids. I think the end is here barring miracles.

Sue.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Ray has had a bad week. the antibiotics are not dealing with the pneumonia. Today he could not swallow, thickened liquids or solids. I think the end is here barring miracles.

Sue.

So sorry to hear this Sue, my thoughts and prayers are with Ray and you ,

Jeany x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Sue

I am so sorry, so sad. An awful time for you.

Holding you and Ray in my heart and thoughts

Love
Loo xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Ah Sue, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Thinking of you and wishing you the strength you will need for the days and weeks to come. Take care. x