• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Ratio of carers to residents in dementia care homes

TOBYJUG

Sep 11, 2010
WEST YORKSHIRE
Hello,
I am trying to find out if there is a legal requirement stating the above, or CQC guidelines? I realise that the Dependency levels will dictate the ratio to a certain extent. At the care home where my wife is, the ratio is 1to 8, but sometimes, because of working procedures, the ratio reaches 1 to 16!

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
Hello,
I am trying to find out if there is a legal requirement stating the above, or CQC guidelines? I realise that the Dependency levels will dictate the ratio to a certain extent. At the care home where my wife is, the ratio is 1to 8, but sometimes, because of working procedures, the ratio reaches 1 to 16!
not sure about the ratio per home but the home my husband is in there are about 30 people on that floor and we mostly have between 5 and 7 carers on at one time dont know if this the same in other care homes maybe we are lucky

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi TOBYJUG,

I do not think there are any set guidelines but the ratios you are quoting, if during the day, seem very high indeed even the 1-8.

My advice would be to phone the CQC and ask them what they think.

I wish you well. :)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
In my husband's CH the ratio is 1:5 max 1:6 when staff on hol, sickness, etc, which I believe is the recommended ratio but don't know if there is a legal requirement.

Sent from my GT-N5110