1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Ratio of carers to residents in dementia care homes

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by TOBYJUG, Mar 17, 2015.

1. TOBYJUG

TOBYJUG Registered User

Sep 11, 2010
    WEST YORKSHIRE
    Hello,
    I am trying to find out if there is a legal requirement stating the above, or CQC guidelines? I realise that the Dependency levels will dictate the ratio to a certain extent. At the care home where my wife is, the ratio is 1to 8, but sometimes, because of working procedures, the ratio reaches 1 to 16!

2. marmarlade

marmarlade Registered User

Jan 26, 2015
    not sure about the ratio per home but the home my husband is in there are about 30 people on that floor and we mostly have between 5 and 7 carers on at one time dont know if this the same in other care homes maybe we are lucky

3. Pete R

Pete R Registered User

Jul 26, 2014
    Staffs
    Hi TOBYJUG,

I do not think there are any set guidelines but the ratios you are quoting, if during the day, seem very high indeed even the 1-8.

My advice would be to phone the CQC and ask them what they think.

I wish you well. :)

4. truth24

truth24 Registered User

Oct 13, 2013
    North Somerset
    In my husband's CH the ratio is 1:5 max 1:6 when staff on hol, sickness, etc, which I believe is the recommended ratio but don't know if there is a legal requirement.

Sent from my GT-N5110