Rapid deterioration

Malkagus

Apr 3, 2021
He has been so much worse since our recent holiday. Following me around, obsessing about driving and sex. A few times I've had to ring his daughter or brother to talk to him and he's so disinhibited it's embarrassing....but they're family and very supportive so I'm lucky. I'm getting the idea that this is now our life and I have to deal with it. The rational sensible person that I have has almost gone....some fun moments but too many tears and utter sadness. Can hardly believe the recent rapid changes. Not much anyone can do to help.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I feel for you @Malkagus .

It might be worth speaking to his doctor as sometimes medication can help.

I’m not sure how long your OH has been diagnosed. I had problems with my dad’s behaviour about 6 months after he was diagnosed and it turned out to be one of his dementia meds (Donepezil in his case) that was causing problems. It’s worth considering all angles.

Very rapid changes can be caused by infection too.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Malkagus

There comes a stage with dementia when any changes in environment increases confusion. Only time will tell whether it is temporary or permanent.

As well as changes in environment, the progression in some people with dementia will be slow and steady, while in others there will be a steep downturn.

We really do need to live from day to day not knowing what to expect and it`s difficult, quite frightening and very very upsetting.

Hold on to any fun moments you may have and treasure them.

Malkagus

Apr 3, 2021
Thanks everyone. It can't be medication as nothing has changed...and he rarely uses the patches. I think it has been the change of location. I've booked another holiday for us as I'm desperate to see my family. I decided to go ahead since its so important to me, I realise it's risky but this is my life.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Thanks everyone. It can't be medication as nothing has changed...and he rarely uses the patches. I think it has been the change of location. I've booked another holiday for us as I'm desperate to see my family. I decided to go ahead since its so important to me, I realise it's risky but this is my life.
Couldn't you go and visit your family on your own? Just a few days, but it would be a breath of fresh air.