Rapid deterioration

Wyn1980

Aug 8, 2020
My dad is 83 years old and was diagnosed with Alzheimers 2 years ago. Up to 3 months ago he was really well, living a very independant life. Following a fall and the knock to the head, a 10 day hospital admission and a diagnosis of early stages of cancer of the oesophagus, his symptoms of Alzheimers has deteriorated significantly. This week alone he has forgotten how to use the microwave and prepare his own food. Noticable increased confusion. He is on Rivastigmine patches and they don’t seem to be slowing down the symptoms. Is this sudden deterioration typical? We as a family are finding it very difficult accepting this rapid deterioration.

CMS91

Jul 22, 2019
This is a question I’ve just asked too! My nan had a fall last Sunday. Nothing broken but she can’t walk or stand alone now where as she could before easily. She’s still in hospital now but she’s very confused and isn’t very coherent when she is talking ? it’s so hard. I’ve had a couple of replies saying it may well be some medication they are giving her so I’m going to go in early on Monday to see if I can catch the consultants and get some answers because at the moment I feel like I’ve lost a huge part of her ?

Wyn1980

Aug 8, 2020
Thank you for your reply. I feel that I’ve lost a huge part of dad too and it’s very hard to deal with. We were told by his CPN last week that the deterioration is likey cause by the progressive nature of the disease. The CPN has also notified the DVLA as he feels dad is no longer safe to drive. Revoking his driving license will break his heart ??

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Wyn1980 you'll find friendly support and advice here. Unfortunately a hospital stay can often cause deterioration in those with dementia. I assume that the hospital took a scan to check that your dad's knock to the head didn't cause any injury? Dementia medication can help to control the symptoms but doesn't slow down/stop the progression however if your dad has had a sudden noticeable change in confusion in the last week or so it's possible that he may have a urine infection, or another type of infection, as these can cause havoc in those with dementia. Things like constipation or dehydration can also cause increased confusion so it may be worth checking that he is drinking enough fluids, especially in the hot weather, and it's worth speaking to your dad's GP if you are concerned. Sudden downturns are very difficult to deal with but keep posting as there are lots on here who will understand how you are feeling.

Wyn1980

Aug 8, 2020
Hello, thank you for your reply. All recent bloods and urine sample were normal. CT scan showed no evidence of trauma, bleeding or stroke. His fluid intake is currently good. I’m also a registered nurse and I’m aware of reversable causes, however this is my father and not a patient so I might be misding obvious clues. Will be grateful of any advice

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Any hospital stay can cause delirium in people with dementia. Once out of hospital, this often settles down although it can take anything from a few days to several weeks. Sometimes, the person doesn't get back to the level they were at before.

CMS91

Jul 22, 2019
Thank you for your reply. I feel that I’ve lost a huge part of dad too and it’s very hard to deal with. We were told by his CPN last week that the deterioration is likey cause by the progressive nature of the disease. The CPN has also notified the DVLA as he feels dad is no longer safe to drive. Revoking his driving license will break his heart ??
I remember my grandpa had this and it did break his heart at first but he soon came to terms with it. I really hope you dad is okay and his memory gets back to some sort of normal. I’m sure it just takes times for them to get used to things again once they are home. My nan was in hospital just one night a few weeks ago but took about 2 weeks to get back to her normal self. Fingers crossed for this Happens with your dad. It won’t be as quick but fingers crossed xx

CMS91

Jul 22, 2019
Welcome to the forum @Wyn1980 you'll find friendly support and advice here. Unfortunately a hospital stay can often cause deterioration in those with dementia. I assume that the hospital took a scan to check that your dad's knock to the head didn't cause any injury? Dementia medication can help to control the symptoms but doesn't slow down/stop the progression however if your dad has had a sudden noticeable change in confusion in the last week or so it's possible that he may have a urine infection, or another type of infection, as these can cause havoc in those with dementia. Things like constipation or dehydration can also cause increased confusion so it may be worth checking that he is drinking enough fluids, especially in the hot weather, and it's worth speaking to your dad's GP if you are concerned. Sudden downturns are very difficult to deal with but keep posting as there are lots on here who will understand how you are feeling.
This makes sense with my nan at the moment. She’s in hospital right now after a fall and she has been increasingly confused but was told today she is constipated. I wish I could just take all of this away from her ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti