Rapid deteriation

Mik1929

Oct 2, 2014
I am 86 and MW is 85 and has Alzheimer's for over seven years. I am her sole carer and it is becoming moe and more difficult to cope although she is on medication which has calmed her down from the years when she was abusive, both verbally and physically. For the last few years she has been calmer and quite confused but still able to understand most basic things. Her toileting has been difficult as she will not use pads and constantly wets her pants and trousers. However in he last few days she has deteriorated quite a bit to such an extent that she is unable to understand if it is day or night and has great difficulty negotiating the stairs whereas before she was slow but quit steady. I am having her urine tested in case it is a uti but I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience of this as I am worried if this is a serious change. Sorry about the length of the post but things are getting difficult.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I am 86 and MW is 85 and has Alzheimer's for over seven years. I am her sole carer and it is becoming moe and more difficult to cope although she is on medication which has calmed her down from the years when she was abusive, both verbally and physically. For the last few years she has been calmer and quite confused but still able to understand most basic things. Her toileting has been difficult as she will not use pads and constantly wets her pants and trousers. However in he last few days she has deteriorated quite a bit to such an extent that she is unable to understand if it is day or night and has great difficulty negotiating the stairs whereas before she was slow but quit steady. I am having her urine tested in case it is a uti but I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience of this as I am worried if this is a serious change. Sorry about the length of the post but things are getting difficult.

Hi Mike,

This is beyond difficult for you. This is probably a stupid question but have you any help? Can you ask for respite? My OH behaviour as constantly changing every day is different and difficult. Luckily he is getting a weeks respite next Monday.

Aisling ( Ireland)

Mik1929

Oct 2, 2014
Help

Hi Mike,

This is beyond difficult for you. This is probably a stupid question but have you any help? Can you ask for respite? My OH behaviour as constantly changing every day is different and difficult. Luckily he is getting a weeks respite next Monday.

Aisling ( Ireland)

Thank you for replying to my rather long rant. I do have some carers in twice a day and I have a few hours off three times a week so things could be worse but my main worry is that MW could be slipping quite badly. However my situation is not so bad as some, it could have happened when we were younger. Thank you again for your concern.
Mik1929.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
This is so hard for you, I'm so sorry
Great idea to test for UTI
When my Ma first refused pads we used to put them inside her pants when they were in the drawer so that when she pulled her pants on they were already in their. Your carers should also be skilled in helping with this but it did work having them pre-prepared!! You do get them from the incontinence service on the NHS don't you?

Mik1929

Oct 2, 2014
Thanks

This is so hard for you, I'm so sorry
Great idea to test for UTI
When my Ma first refused pads we used to put them inside her pants when they were in the drawer so that when she pulled her pants on they were already in their. Your carers should also be skilled in helping with this but it did work having them pre-prepared!! You do get them from the incontinence service on the NHS don't you?

Thanks for your advice unfortunately most of the wetting occurs when MW goes to the loo as she does not sit down properly and wets everything. Today I have fitted a raised seat so we shall see what happens. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Mik1929